Allen Bradley PanelView firmware update question.

Ron6259

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

I have several SLC-500 based systems. The user interfaces are PanelView 2711-TC1 touchscreens with firmware revision 3. I purchased a Refurbished PanelView 2711-TC1 to replace a touchscreen that stop working. I have bought used touchscreens that work fine in the past. This touchscreen has firmware revision 2.

The 2711-TC1 touchscreens are connected to 1747 scanner modules. Whenever I select SLC-500 1747-SN in communications options in the panel view software it upgrades the PanelView application to require revision 3 firmware.

How can I upgrade the firmware in the PanelView to revision 3? I did not find the information on rockwellautomation.com website for updating the firmware for these screens.

I’ve have replaced some 2711-TC1 touchscreens with C-more touchscreens. I purchased the refurbished PanelView 2711-TC1 touchscreen to avoid modifying the PLC program at this time.

Thanks

Hi Ron, welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

A bit of exposition for our readers: 2711-TC1 is the first-generation PanelView terminal, called a "PanelView Classic" or "PanelView 1200". They were built by Intecolor in British Columbia and had DOS-era character based graphics objects on a CRT.

To answer your direct question: the only practical solution is to buy a used terminal with a later firmware installed.

I think field upgrades via serial *.BIN file download were only possible on the Series F and G models with firmware 5.x, starting in 1997 or so.

Hi Ron, welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

A bit of exposition for our readers: 2711-TC1 is the first-generation PanelView terminal, called a "PanelView Classic" or "PanelView 1200". They were built by Intecolor in British Columbia and had DOS-era character based graphics objects on a CRT.

To answer your direct question: the only practical solution is to buy a used terminal with a later firmware installed.

I think field upgrades via serial *.BIN file download were only possible on the Series F and G models with firmware 5.x, starting in 1997 or so.

Ken

Are these different from the Panelview 1200 E? How so?

BTW thanks for posting this. I love learning the history and more about the older gear because in the field you come across it more than some may think these days.

The "E" (for enhanced) terminals were different. They used different software and had some additional features. If I recall you could upgrade a PV Classic to a PV "E". They also offered a PV1400E terminal and I think a PV1000E came later. I think they came from the same vendor as the Classic. I actually got to visit with them once as I think they had a hand in the old ControlView software and we went there (Vancouver area) to discuss...something. I don't remember anymore. Another case of CRS.

I didn't have much experience with the "E" models so I can't speak to their exact capabilities but I do recall them having trending which the Classic did not.

OG