OT Programmers Break Times

@parky
True about the general centralizing of all production in a few comglomerates (not just beer). But then there are all the microbreweries that are popping up.
Sure, a lot of these dont make it in the long run, but quite a few of them seem to persist.
My issue with the microbreweries is that they never stick with the same brew, not even if they have made something that turned out awesome, next time you go to the same place they have something completely different (and potentially awful).
That is what you get with the comglomerate beer, total consistency.

I sort of agree, but consistent S*** is certainly not real beer. or should I say ale, here there are a few micro breweries where they have their flagship ales & have had them for many years, I do agree that consistency may vary, but I know a guy who was a head brewer originally in Bass, he now has his own micro brewery, it is difficult to get consistency using traditional methods but even so beer connoisseurs seem to favour it over mass produced long life products.

I don't drink beer, but do know the taste is from the label

Went on a tram tour at Busch Gardens in San Diego years ago and the tram was stopped before it got to one place. The tour guide asked how many people like Busch beer and don't like Budweiser? And then how many like Budweiser and don't like Busch?

A lot of hands were raised.
Then the tram moved to the bottling line. One system filling loads of unlabelled bottles on a conveyor.
Then the conveyor divided into 2 and half were labelled Busch and capped and the other half went to the Budweiser labeling side.

lol, I bet some people could tell the difference 🍺

Myself and a group of friends did a "beer tasting competition" once as something a bit different to do one weekend. 12 of us turned up, everyone was assigned a different beer to bring along. Split into teams of two, one was blindfolded and tasting, the other was recording results. Then we swapped.

Highest score was 5 out of 12 right.

Most people could tell the really awful beers, but couldn't differentiate between them. But all the others... no discernable difference between a premium brand beer and the run of the mill stuff.

The real difference may come from the hangover when you have too much. My interest in scientific research didn't extend that far.

I have done a fair bit of programming after hours with a glass of whiskey at the table, but it's a slippery slope.

Coming from an era & location where beer or ale was part of the comunity, indeed Burton on Trent was just one mass of breweries, most of the properties were owned by the breweries, i.e. workers cottages etc. there was at one time a replica of Burton in the brewing museum you could see from that, many of the houses were actually in the grounds of the brewery, barrels were stacked right outside of these houses, my first house was once owned by one of the breweries this was actually on the fringes of the town as I believe all the houses on that road were, there was a covenent on the property that I could not sell or brew beer on the premises. I was fortunate many years ago to sample most days beer from Bass at their sample room, believe me that beer was good, it did not have to travel, kept at the correct temperature (that is why public houses had cellars) I have never really tasted beer as good. Although it was mass produced using what was at the time newer processes, it still went through certain processes using oak barrels, Flavour contributions (Tannin) were a natural flavour from the oak barrels these varied with age of the barrels & what had been stored in them so in reality, the old method would give slight variances in beer flavour even on the same recipe, the idea that beer should be consistent is a modern take in what can only be described as our resolve for a perfect world, what we have lost is the true flavour, modern metal processing equipment water treatment etc. has lost all that, It's like everything nowadays, reduced costs, mass production & the most obvious is safety for the consumer.
This not only pertains to beer but other products, I was involved in a move of a certain pasta product with sauce to another factory, there were two concerns raised, the first was the water used, they actually transported water from the new facility 200 miles to do a trial run, this product was used in consumer trials to ensure the flavour was acceptable, turns out it was ok. The other was the old extruders had been in service for a number of years, a concern was raised that the holes in the extruder had grown over the years, again a trial was conducted & the consumer response was that the thinner extruded product was not what the consumer wanted, so as part of the refurbishment of the plant for the move the extruder dies were not replaced.

An American lady went to a fine restaurant in Paris and when she ordered a beer was asked "Domestic or imported"
Of course she said Imported - and was brought a Budweiser.:confused:

Another tourist went to a pub in Scotland and wanted an American beer. The pubkeeper said he didn't have any, so the tourist asked for the closest thing to American beer he had - he got a glass of water.🍺