Flash ATA memory card for Panel View

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone know of a third party flash memory card that is known to work on the panelview.

I used to use the old 2711-NM13 AB card that used a special card reader.

I know that knew ones will go straight into the PCMCIA slot of your laptop but can't tell which part number is which.

Is the one I am thinking about the 2711-NM216?

Is there a cheaper one that I don't have to purchase from AB. More importantly, I was told that it would take over two weeks to acquire the card from AB and didn't want to pay the UPS red shipping costs.

The magic words are "ATA Compatible". I most often use CompactFlash ATA cards in a PCMCIA adapter. SanDisk is probably the most common maker, though I have yet to personally find one that didn't work.

Unless you have an extreme temperature and vibration situation, there's little reason to get the A-B 2711-NM2x cards. They're steel-cased, full-sized, and assured to work and stay available for ten years, but off-the-shelf cards are a lot less expensive.

Be aware that the old linear flash cards (2711-NM1x) do have their uses; PanelView 1200/1400e and Standard PanelViews with firmware before version 3.0 can't use the ATA cards.

Compactflash with Adapter

Based on a suggestion on this board, I just successfully used a compactflash card (8MB that came free with my digital camera) with PCMCIA adapter ($9 from Buy.com, free shipping) on both Panelview 1000C and Panelview 550 terminals. 8MB and 16 MB compactflash cards are almost given away these days. I don't know how well they withstand extreme temperatures and vibration (they are quite rugged) but to me it is ridiculous to spend $200 on a 2MB 2711-NM13. If you just need to transfer PVA files from your laptop to Panelview terminal, temperature and vibration are not an issue.

I use a Sandisk 4mb card. I called rockwell and asked what cards would work and they told me this one. I bought it about 4 years ago for $40, the AB card at the time was around $200. I use it strictly for program transfer, I don't leave it in the PV. Even at $200 the card is worth it, just in the time savings.