NET-ENI & Micrologix 1500 Unrecognized Device

ElectricD

I am trying to use a NET-ENI to connect to a Micrologix 1500 with Ethernet. I am not trying to use email or anything tricky. I just want to go online with the programming software. RSWho in RSLinx Lite tells me the device type is unrecognized. This is supposed to be easy. Any ideas?

This is all of the configuration data:

Cable from Micrologix to ENI is 1761-CBL-AM00 Ser A
Laptop is connected to the ENI with a crossover cable.

The PLC is Micrologix 1500 (1764-28BXB Ser A Rev A)
Channel 0 is set for DF1 Full Duplex
Baud = 19200
Parity = NONE
Source ID = 1
Control Line = No Handshaking
Error Detection = CRC
Embeded Responses = Auto Detect
ACK timeout (x20ms) = 50
NAK retries = 3
ENQ retries
Duplicate Packet Detect is checked

The ENI is 1761-NET-ENI Ser B FRN 2.00
232 Baud rate is set to Auto
The IP Address is 192.168.000.023
The subnet mask is 255.255.255.000
Gateway and both security masks are all 0
Message routing is all 0
Nothing is set on the email tab

The laptop is Windows 98
Static IP address is 192.168.0.21
Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
WINS is disabled
no gateway
DNS is disabled

RSLinx lite is version 2.41.00
Ethernet driver
Station 0 host name is 192.168.000.023

Your thoroughness is commendable; too often we see "Everything is set right, how come it doesn't work" ? ;)

Can you PING the 1761-NET-ENI from a CMD window in Windows 98 ? That will let us know if the crossover cable and link are established correctly, TCP/IP-wise.

Try also bringing up the Net-ENI address in a web browser. If PING and HTTP work, then we know the problem is in the RS232 side or in RSLinx.

On the 1761-NET-ENI, I know that it defaults to 38400 baud when connecting to the configuration utility. You might have to cycle power to the Net-ENI to have it attempt an RS232 autobaud to connect to the MicroLogix.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.
Ping and HTTP both work.
I cycled power again and it still doesn't work.

It looks like a problem in the PLC or Linx, but I have tried everything I can think of. Can you think of anything else?

Try to change the IP address in the RSLINX driver to 192.168.0.23

I just tested and those extra zeros caused the same error.

Sam

It is not easy I dont know why?
I made it with SLC it suppose to be a same.
Try to change the baud rate to 19200.not auto.
make sure that the PLC and ENI on same power switch.
trun off and turn on both. they need synchronize.
The utility tab on ENI have to be

Com Port 1
Baud Rate 38800
Parameter Upload Active Tab

Parameter Download Modified

You can not see on the link the ENI if not concted to the PLC
I struggled a lot untill it worked.
Send me your E-Mail to my E-Mail
I will send you my files

It was the extra 0s in the Linx IP address. I tried that before but I must have something else wrong at that time.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!!!
You saved my sanity!

Outstanding work, Samneggs !

I remember reading something about a common shorthand in IP addressing that affected RSLinx; if you had leading zeros in an IP address octet, RSLinx considers that value to be OCTAL, not decimal. I don't know if this is for compatibility with some obscure TCP/IP protocol standard, or a bug in RSLinx.

When you entered 192.168.000.023 in the Ethernet driver host table, RSLinx thought you meant 023 Octal = 19 Decimal.

You could test this out by entering 192.168.0.027 into the RSLinx host table now... 027 Octal = 23 Decimal.

I came across the same thing the first time I set up a 1761-NET-ENI network. I also had similar problem using a SCADA software. I never use zeros any more.

Jim

GO JETS

I didn't know about the octal/decimal thing - I just used the 'Golden Rule of Engineering'

If it doesn't look right it probably wont work right.

Sam

Hello Samneggs
wondering if you can help with an issue I am having
I am trying to use devicenet on a micro 1500. I have the devices mapped on rsnetworks
and the SDN is working fine
the issue is the mesaging function to the 1500. I cannot get how to transfer the I/O to the processor and vice versa.
trying the message logic with no luck
can you suggest anything to help
cheers
Paul