OT: Where to sell surplus CPU's and I/O, etc. (DL205 series)

Gene Bond

I have some AD Direct Logic 205 series processors, racks and I/O cards, etc. that I used for development previously. It's (almost) useless to me now, since I've moved on to Horner and AD Productivity and Click.

I tried Radwell, and their offer was ridiculous.

I suppose I could try Ebay, but it's a hassle for no more than most of it's worth.

Where can I list it as a 'lot' and expect a 'reasonable' offer? It's about $3500 worth of stuff (new), so worth a decent amount to the right home.

Any help would be appreciated.

Moderators: If you don't like this type of post, please feel free to delete it, not intending to spam the forum.

There is a sub heading at the top of this forum page for buy/sell PLC's, not that l think many know or use it.
Other option try PM Genius in Training, he may be interested.
Expecting anyone to give a reasonable offer (i.e into the $1000's) is going to be the mission impossible l would think, at best someone "may"pay 50%, but l doubt it, maybe +25%

Last edited:
Ya, ebay. Just keep in mind that eBay's policy favor the buyer, a lot. Not to mention for PLC stuff you get penny on the dollar so you will have to consider if it's worth the hassle.

We just donate stuff to our local community colleges.

Put it on Ebay or junk it
some years back I acquired a Modicon system installed is a panel that after it was built the decided not use in scrapped it i was hoping it was an AB i paid like $20 for it. It never had power on it. it was 3 full rack both digital and analog IO
i contacted one of the used parts venders what they offered me was a joke
i would have cost me more to ship it to them than what thy offered the processor along would cost over $3,000 new i think they offered me $125 but i had to ship it to them
I just put it all in the trash and never looked back.

Yes, we finally changed over our last K-M PS3 PLC system a couple of years ago, but see getting those in charge to chuck it all out...loads of spares too....

The "new" spares were in the storeroom with all our Rockwell parts, and that corner got flooded when the roof gutters overflowed, so all the boxes got soaked, even though they were on enclosed shelving.
But will they let me throw them out? not yet.......

I have proposed eBay, but too much hassle for them.

I buy a lot... lately buying more than selling (but thats a different story) I have also bought a lot from members here and I try and be fair, one issue that you are seeing is A LOT of people have moved away from that series and gone to the BRX or Click so the demand has fallen.

Unless you are a ebayer its more of a pain for most people so they would rather sell it as a lot/bundle to someone like myself.

To get an idea of what you should get, take your higher price items and compare to whats 'sold' (not for sale) on ebay, example... here is a D2-260 CPU https://www.ebay.com/itm/184393688394 sold for 20.50 plus shipping so a 260 you should be able to get about 30 bucks and a to someone like a reseller, we would be 40-50% of that, now if its new in a factory sealed box you will get more for them.

I would be happy do give you a price, email or PM me a list of what you have.

Other option try PM Genius in Training, he may be interested.

Thank you!

I just like to add that there are very logical reasons why used industrial control have low demands.

I bought used stuff before and it turned out that there are something wrong with it that's not apparent by just powering it up. I got my $ back but I wasted days on it that's much much more valuable than any $ I saved.

Also, think of who is paying the bill when you do a project. It typically doesn't come out of your pocket so the usual economic motivation doesn't apply.

I think the only exception are old PLC 5 stuff and other things where it was widely used but OEM supplies are dried up.

I just like to add that there are very logical reasons why used industrial control have low demands.

I bought used stuff before and it turned out that there are something wrong with it that's not apparent by just powering it up. I got my $ back but I wasted days on it that's much much more valuable than any $ I saved.

Also, think of who is paying the bill when you do a project. It typically doesn't come out of your pocket so the usual economic motivation doesn't apply.

I think it just depends... to say they all have low demands is just not true, check ebay the 'used' is not slowing down, low demands and lower pricing are also not the same.

I think you just had a bad experience, the used stuff I sell is tested 100% or its sold as parts and non working, back 15-20 years ago if you bought something on ebay odds are it was just bad but now there are a lot of sellers that sell by their reputation and can't afford to junk and get a bad rap.

I do give my 'end' customers the option, if they are replacing a 5/05 processor I tell them they can buy one of mine with a year warranty and pay just north of 1k or they can pay 3k (5k from RA) and get the same warranty, most of the time that have opted for the savings.

I think there are a lot of sellers that want to sell good quality because its not the one processor I sell you this year... its the 10 I sell you over the next 10 years is that I am looking for.

i set a policy many years ago if i supply the parts they only come from the OEM
no ebay, no over stock. i got stung big time on that once. the client wanted me to save them some money and get a replacement from one of those vendors the replacement didn't work and i was expected to take care of it at no additions cost to them. to keep them happy i had to get a new one from the oem and overnight it all at no additional cost to them. o from that day on if they want use discount vendors they have to deal with them directly and just pay me for my time. if it works or not

i set a policy many years ago if i supply the parts they only come from the OEM

Times are changing and to each their own...

When I need to get a oil change or I need wipers for my car I dont say it only needs to be OEM and will only buy from Ford, I will shop at my local auto supply or even Walmart.

As people/companies get better they will be better than OEM's, I think my cables are better than OEMs and stand behind them. I use to buy my terminals from AB or Phoenix but have found this company to better customer service and they have a great product https://dinrailterminalblocks.com/ not that they are not a OEM but my point is there are a lot of great deals out there if you just look for them.

It's worth next to nothing now, donate to local tech college.

To quote Dave Chappelle: “Modern problems require modern solutions.”

A former boss of mine had a unique way of dealing with surplus stuff. He would have our shop guys in their spare time wire take surplus/outdated stuff and wire them up as a trainer, Start/stop stations, etc. and refer to them as a “system”.

Then he would donate them to a school and put an inflated $$$ value on them and claim it as a tax write off.