rockwell Devicenet Error 91 - VSD interference

matt_sd

Hi guys,

I have a problem, a Compact logix PLC with 20 node point all within 20 metres, 121 ohm resistor at each end, network works fine.

Now when a VSD starts (seperate to the devicenet network), I get the error 91 on devicenet scanner. Stop the drive, a toggle of the 24VDC devicenet supply and all ok again until the next time.

I have checked connections. I read the rockwell devicenet manual and it said that the 0V of the devicenet 24VDC supply and the devicenet shield must be connected to earth (only one connection and close to centre of the network). There was to earth connection to the ground or the 0V. I connected these and the same occurs when the drive starts. I also checked the resisters.

I dont know what else to do, the signal cables comming into the panel are shielded to earth at one end,

The nodes are compact block analogue/digital inputs/outputs and Danfoss VFD drives (the starting of these donesn't cause and devicenet errors)

Any help appreciated as stuck!!!

Thanks

Matt

With the CompactLogix you should have a 1769-SDN....

Error 91 Bus Off Bus off condition detected on itegral DeviceNet port.
Check the DeviceNet connections & physical media integrity.
Check system for failed slave devices or other possible sources
of network interference. Check the Baud Rate.

The drive may be spiking one of your field devices.

In RSLogix5000 go to the 'Controller Tags' check the Module Status Register.

'Local:1:I.StatusRegister' will give you some basic information.

'Local:1:I.Status.DeviceFailureRegister' might help you to narrow it down to a particular node if that is where the problem lies.
From AB..."The bit position of each of the 64 bits that make up a given status table directly correspond to the node address of a device."

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Also, check the wiring of the VFD that causes the fault. Make sure its ground wire is connected between the drive and motor. Consider using shielded motor cable to capture and drain noise from the motor leads.

Matt:

It seems that the problem your having is basically electrical noise, do you have ferrite beads installed in all devicenet conections ( in and out)?, I have a system with more devices connected 26 in less space and works fine. Though error 91 is related to bus connection, please try to read info about noise reduction, like grounding power supply an so on. Also there are two program samples that you can use in order to diagnose your network, they are located in sample code library of www.ab.com page.

I dont use CLX or that particular drive (We use PLC5 & SLC500& AB drives) Anyways we had a similar problem and had to put a properly sized RC filter on the drive. We had AB come in and analyze the issue they said that 2 things were happening 1-the drive was "transmitting" noise, and the D-net comm was picking it up, killing the network and 2- everytime the EMF field collapsed (motor stopped) it sent a huge voltage spike knocking out the whole network.
Dont know if this is the same issue your having but I hope it helps.

Thanks for your replies.
I have been going through them all.

With the VSD to motor grounding, I did see that the cable from the VSD to motor was screened and was connected at the VSD end to ground. Does this mean that the motor end should not be connected to ground (as you should only ground one end)?

Back to grounding, so the centre devicenet cable (shield) should this be connected to ground and also the 0VDC of the devicenet power to ground?

PLC GURU, did your RC filters come from the drive supplier?

Thanks

Matt

Allen-Bradley did supply the filter, but it wasn't an "AB" branded filter . your drive supplier may be able to specify what you need.

devicenet fault 91

I've got a compact logix and a 1769 SDN. Everything works fine through out the day. Ever morning when I come in I have a Fault 91 on my scanner. It doesn't happen at all during the day while I am running only over night with the machine is down.

Has anyone else ever come across this issue before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi kailasdamodare. This post you are reviving was started in 2008 and unsuccessfully attempted to be brought back to life 2014. I would advice you start a fresh post, giving as much details on your specific issue as you possibly can. Most experienced readers of this forum would skip this zombie post, thus reducing your chances of getting help.