Anyone take the UL508A MTR Qualification Exam yet?

Just sat through the Free Bussmann UL 508A MTR Exam Prep Course. It was pretty good. The instructor was very knowledgeable and helpful.

Last edited:
The MTR Requirement from UL has just been extended from Feb.1, 2021 until Aug. 1 2021. Training and test details remain the same, just extended for an additional six months. Fortunately for me I took and passed the exam earlier this week

Oh wow, that's good news. Where is that listed? I'm planning on taking it this weekend since I just finished the UL online course, but good to know.

MrDnesco, where did you find the free Bussman course?

Oh wow, that's good news. Where is that listed? I'm planning on taking it this weekend since I just finished the UL online course, but good to know.

MrDnesco, where did you find the free Bussman course?

If it’s fresh in your mind take it, no better time than now.

I agree with Dock, take it as soon as possible while it’s fresh in your mind...

Just do a google search for Bussmann UL 508A MTR Exam Prep Course.

I did take the test today and got an 85 on it.

Congrats MrDnesco!

I can put this behind me too. I ended up with an 88 and finished in a bit over 3 hours.

I got really worried after getting 5 questions wrong in the first section but it worked out.

Congrats on passing Metsfan. Did you get my PM?

I wish I would of taken my time during the test but I rushed through it. It took me 2.25 hrs. Wish I would of used the standard more to look up the answers.

Hello

Yes, I have taken the test twice now and have come up short both times. It is 4 hours long and 80-questions. While I understood the math, SCCR, and fusing questions ok, I mostly found myself fumbling through the UL508a chopped up codebook trying to match phrases or interpret codes. My only tip would be to make sure you take this test after you complete the course. I waited several months and I am thinking maybe if it was fresher in my head I would have done better. When your in the class be sure to take a lot of notes and ask questions, stupid or not. I plan on doing the refresher online course and asking some of the UL folks for some clarifications on things I know were hazy. I hope that helps.

Just passed it

I took it once and thought it was tricky, there was stuff that was not in the standard. Then I watched the 12-part course that they offer online (free until 2/1). They mentioned the things I thought were missing from the standard, I took a lot of notes. I passed it the second time.

I took the 2 day Training Course and now I am trying to pass the test. It's split in to 4 sections now.

I got an 80 on Section 1, then 70 on section 2, then 75 on the retake.....

Half of this stuff wasn't covered in the class that is supposed to be prep for this test :unsure: I am still confused on why I failed. I looked everything up in the standards and it seemed that for all but 1 or 2 questions I knew the answer to. Some of the questions I think were poorly worded and one of them didn't even seem to make sense, because they left out information you needed to give them an answer.

I think I get one more attempt, before I have to call them and ask them to unlock it.

This test is nonsense I bet the majority of their inspectors couldn't even pass it. :rolleyes:

Did you take the class in person or the one online that is specific to prep for the MTR exam?

When we became a UL panel shop I went to the 2 day in person class. The instructor was knew and obviously had no teaching experience. I came out dumber.

I took the online prep class and learned way more with it then I did with the in person class. I’m not usually a very productive online learner either.

We took the virtual version of the 2 day class. Which was like $700 a person I think. I was definetly less than impressed with the instructor. I just started watching the online prep course already it is alot more informative. I want our money back lol.