Micrologix 1400 vs 1500

kxs436

Dear experts,

I have not used micrologix 1400 or 1500. I am trying to find out which one to buy for a project at work. From my read up, I find that either of them should work for my project, which is a simple water treatment process. However, I would like to know the key differences between the two.

Also, does rockwell make HMIs and what programming software is most commonly used for HMIs ?

Appreciate your inputs.

Unless you need to use the 1769 Compact I/O platform (like for a DeviceNet scanner), the MicroLogix 1400 is generally preferred.

Both have two serial ports, both have expansion I/O, both use the popular RSLogix 500 editing software.

But the Ethernet port and the online editing feature in the MicroLogix 1400 make it far more popular. Despite the controller family number (1400 vs 1500) the 1400 is actually a much newer design.

There are hundreds of HMI products, including Rockwell Automation's FactoryTalk View ME and the PanelView Plus hardware.

Some are embedded systems, and many are PC-based. Red Lion's G3 series, Automation Direct's C-More, and programs like PeakHMI, AdvancedHMI, and Inductive Automation Ignition are favorites around here.

Do you have a local Rockwell Automation distributor who has an automation department ? A quick trip to their shop will give you a direct hands-on look at the controller and HMI hardware.

1400 hands down for new projects! no special cables required If I need more I/O move up to compact, less I/O go with the 1100. I only use 1200 and 1500 as direct replacements

WHat cables? Are you saying its easier to move to compact and you always go 1500 and NOT 1400.

I have about 32 DI, 32 DO, about 8 AI, 4 AO and about 4 to 8 PID loops.

Alan- By online editing, do you mean editing the program over the internet? OR editing the program in Run mode.

And I am right to understand that a separate ethernet module is available for ML1500 though its not in built?

thanks

Online editing refers to the ability to modify the program while the PLC is in run mode. In other words, you don't have to shut down the process for 30 seconds or so to download the modified program.

The only option for adding Ethernet to a 1500 is with the 1761-NET-ENI module. This is not a backplane module, but rather a serial-to-Ethernet converter which allows you to program the PLC and/or communicate with other PLCs/HMIs over the Ethernet connection. You won't be able to control Ethernet-based I/O, but AFAIK you can't do that with the 1400 either.

To me, the primary (and basically only) value of the Micro 1500 over the 1400 is the 1769 I/O platform. These modules are superior to the 1762 system as there is a wider selection of I/O and they all have removable terminal blocks. Plus, the 1500 supports up to 16 I/O modules if an extra power supply is used; I think the 1400 is limited to six.

You may want to double check your IO before you settle on the ML1400. It is limited to 7 expansion modules. Based on your IO listed you will be cutting it close. The 1400 has built in analog but it is pretty limited. Both inputs and outputs are voltage (no 4-20ma) only and the resolution isn't very good. Spectrum has some 8 point analog input and output modules for the 1400 that work pretty well.

the new compact logix L18 XXX may deserve a look for this app!

Just did a project with the L1 series Compact Logic PLC... Very sweet little machine. You can use Point I/O modules for I/O expansion and you get dual Ethernet ports. One port was setup for HMI and the other for RIO and Drives. I really like this series. The only downside I found was that the model I used had 16 in and 16 out discrete and the terminal strips were a bit cheesy. Also you got power for the Embedded I/O from a terminal strip by the main power for the CPU. Overlooked this in the build so it bit me during the debug phase.

Note: I did need to upgrade to RS Logic 5000 version 20. and I had to update Control Flash. The L1 out of the box have no firmware on them so you have to load that first before you can load the program.