what is a cost effective PLC

Aquarod

Hi, it's been about 15 years since I worked with PLC's so I am sure many advances have been made.
Just getting back into it as I have been doing calibrations by hand and a sight glass and want to automate and think it should be simple, I hope.
Here is what I am trying to do, I have a tank that I fill with water 100 cm high hold for 2 min. log the level and temp of the water, then drop 3 cm hold for 2 min etc. then when I reach the bottom change I fill the tank with a differnt temp of water and do it all over again. So is there an inexpensive PLC that can control the valves the pump and has both analog and digital inputs and outputs that is easily programmed since I only have a ladder logic background?

Much will depend on if you are doing this once or if you are an OEM that will repeat the process.

If you are doing this once only, then your cost will be higher, as a result of one time costs, such as software.

The example provided - Automation Direct, will cost you $395.00 for the software plus the cost of the controller. With others, the cost will be higher. Some, including my company provide programming software that is free of charge.

With regards to your application...are you using an ultrasonic level sensor?

The cost of PLCs is dependent on three things, number of I/O, type of I/O and quantity of units purchased.

Please note that I am employed by Entertron...a ePLC manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

To Terry - I believe that is the shortest post I have ever seen you do.

I'm concordant with HenryLamboo. Unitronics OPLC are very easy in programming. I don't like ladder, but ladder of this OPLC is quite to use, IMHO. And you'l haven't any doubts in HMI programming thanks to OP and PLC integration.

Stephen Luft said:
To Terry - I believe that is the shortest post I have ever seen you do.
If this forum ever has a "shortest post" contest, I'm not putting any money on Ron Beaufort!

Just kidding. Ron's posts may be the most consistently thorough that you will find here. The process of explanation and examples requires great detail that Ron is always so willing to contribute.

Jimmie_Ohio said:
Ron's posts may be the most consistently thorough that you will find here. The process of explanation and examples requires great detail that Ron is always so willing to contribute.

Jimmie, I could not agree anymore, there have been many people that have given very good detail explanations, but Ron's have been classic's...if you get time check out this post on MRPLC http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=8180 ...Phil should start a best of Beaufort link :)

But I also have to say that Terry's have been very entertaining:site:

Yes Ron has absolutely the best explainations. Many people, including me, make post that are short and to the point. I like to think of Ron's as a shotgun post. He is going to answer your question, explain to you why it is so, and answer most questions that may come up while you are working out your problem