writing an hmi from scratch using VB

The answer to your question is me
I have completed quit a few VB and Net Studio HMI's
i actually prefer it. It's far more flexible
the attached is a main screen done completely in Net Studio

very nice. I wish I had the money to pay you to do it.
I plan to make money off the royalties over time.

one thing you may note is I only pay for the developer license only once
I can make as many applications and distribute as many copied on as many machines as I want it runs on a standard windows computer
no run time license so the more you do the better the profit

Rumours about VB going obsolete have been doing the rounds for as long as I can remember. It is a ****roach indeed and I expect it to be around for many years to come.

My guesses of the biggest hurdles:
SSL email, text message api
meh; I would be surprised if Github offered naught.
alarm history
meh; same (e.g. MySQL/MariaDB/SQLite).
modbus tcp driver
we have a winner, along with any other comms drivers, but possibly Github could again come to the rescue.

I am curious what drivers GaryS used to communicate with the process, and why/whether he did not use AdvancedHMI.

Also, @ganutenator why VB? Why not summat (e.g. Python, whatever) on a RaspberryPI?

The cost/time of making an HMI from scratch is probably not worth it.
I have done this for a company for a standard piece of plant but it got a bit too much regarding protocols for different PLC's depending on customers requirements etc. after all, why re-invent the wheel.
I agree. Unless you want to be in the business of selling your own HMI software.

Anyone have any experience doing this?
Is this too much of an undertaking to consider?
What are the biggest hurdles?
My guesses of the biggest hurdles:
SSL email, text message api
alarm history
modbus tcp driver

If you use AHMI one of the hurdles will be a good alarm history, there really isn't one. But, there are a few sample projects using a database (SQLite) for history. I can share some code if you like. Email is simple, being .NET lots of examples. I send texts as emails.

Graphics to me is going to be the biggest challenge. AMHI doesn't have strong drawing tools, and even .NET WinForms isn't made for it. I typically would create an image/overlay. I have used symbol factory images as a start in the past.

If you are looking for a closed source solution you could use PeakHMI found at https://www.hmisys.com I have used it for a production monitoring system collecting data from 34 machines using Click processors via Modbus TCP/IP. It has worked very well and got great support from them during the programming and commissioning. Right now it is $599 for a dongle developer version ($499 runtime)

It is PASCAL based, but you could always use it a server to pass the data through ODBC to a SQL server as all major PLC drivers are built into the product. Just something to look at and ponder.

To try and help you guys understand a little
I have been using the driver for well over 20 years they have upgraded it many times to include new processors as they come out and new windows operating systems as they are released.
As I stated before I only purchase a developers license for the driver. That allows me to install the driver in as many of my apps as I want NO RUN TIME LICENSE required The apps run on a standard windows computer and you can still use the computer for other things at the same time, it’s just a simple windows app.
If the client has a failure all they need to do in load the app on a computer and run so most places will already have a backup on hand.
With Advanced HMI the driver is part of the hardware or each HMI you want to run you need to purchases a new system and again pay for the a new driver.
Most of the systems I do are one of a kind. I can’t remember any system what had a duplicate
You can add many features to your app that are not available in other HMI’s
Alarm log is standard even if the client doesn’t request it.
It a simple Excel file time and date stamp, alarm message
You go as elaborate as you want the log can be down loaded to server or just pulled from the HMI from any computer connected js the same as the an office file.
With mixing system I generally log the recipes when they are downloaded to the controller and I log each batch as they are completed. That along has paid for the effort many times.
Client says they are not getting the correct mix out. I just pull up the logs and show them what was entered and what was mixed. Operator enter the wrong information and they got what they asked for.
Problem solved .
Create your own custom data files the only limitation is the size of the hard drive.
Yes it is more effort to learn in the beginning but when you get on to it. It is not much more work than other systems. The drivers are available for most popular plc’s
If you prefer you can get a OPC server driver from the same company but they require a run time license on each machine.
All most of the other drivers require a runtime license on each machine
On the system I posted before there are many controls that pop up on demand
If you are interested in more details let me know I don’t want to take up the time here

To try and help you guys understand a little

Thanks for the background; the licensing model could certainly be an advantage over AdvancedHMI, as you note.

Where can I actually find the drivers? What PLC brands have drivers? I see a reference to "Net Studio," but The Google finds nothing useful in this context (something in Itally, but that does not seem to be PLC-related). Is that .Net? Or is it related to A-B Studio 5k?

I am sure I am missing something here ...

GaryS. That HMI is awesome.

+3

Back in the day... I worked with RSView and VBA, to me unless your like Gary and a master its better to just use someone else's code/scada/hmi, one little tic can screw up your world and it take hours to get it back working

First i don't consider myself a master of Net Studio by any means
there many people out there that are much much better ate it then me but i still fine it better then any pd the packaged HMI's out there
Here's the link to Ingear https://www.ingeardrivers.com/
Net Studio is from Microsoft
here's the link Warning when you open the link it will automatically start the download
it is safe it is just the install exe to install it needs to reconnect to web

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/...tudio-for-net/?sku=Community&rel=16&rid=30008

Good Luck