You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 4th, 2017, 09:01 PM   #1
backendcode
Canada

why do you like doing? what you do.

This question is for everyone and I believe most of the people here are in PLC, Automation and control engineering.

My answer is, I love programming and I think PLC and Robotics programming interact with a real-world object or in other words, you can interact with real word object with your programming and can visualize your code and this is the reason why I choose this industry.

What is your reason, Please share

Thank you
Old December 5th, 2017, 12:32 AM   #2
ojz0r
Sweden

For automation in general; I love making things work.
Old December 12th, 2017, 05:28 PM   #3
JaxGTO
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojz0r View Post
For automation in general; I love making things work.
I love companies paying me to make things work.
Old December 5th, 2017, 12:37 AM   #4
Dirt
Sweden

Working mostly with programming and commissioning different types of boilers. Oil fired (bio & fossil) and solid fuels like domestic waste, industrial waste and wood chips. Every now and then I get temporarily hired to different maintenance departments when they have more than a handful to do..

I like the diversity of my job, I rarely do the same tasks for more than say 6 months in a row. Programming for several months, then away on commissioning. Two different paces.

It's really satisfying to see the stuff I created actually work in the end, giving heat and electricity to thousands of people.
Old December 5th, 2017, 04:05 AM   #5
VictorBit
Sweden

I keep the swedes comments going. The diversity of the work tasks. I work in all stages of the project from concept to finished product (I work in the medtech industry) . For me this include electrical design,programming, commissioning.
Old December 5th, 2017, 04:31 AM   #6
PLC Pie Guy
Canada

I LIKE what I do but do I love what I do??? No.. I like what I do, compared to many things I could be doing for much less $$$$$!!!!!!!!!
To do what I love would have nothing to do with machines, phones, computers or any other electronic tether.
To bad some of the hobbies I love are very expensive and require a good occupation, an occupation that I can't really say I choose as much as it just happened for me as a result of good training, good mentors and a strong manufacturing economy in my local.

Not many can say they LOVE what they do, I simply love the fact that I can have an interesting job that can support my family well. Really, that is loving what I do, so it depends how you look at it I guess.
Old December 5th, 2017, 04:36 AM   #7
chirag jadav
India

hey can u give answer of this?
can any one suggest how can i use micro logic 1400 for analog input? i have only micro logic 1400 controller box, i don't have any expansion module so how can i read sensor value ? and how to mention (what to use) in programming software?
Old December 5th, 2017, 05:59 AM   #8
crawler009
Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag jadav View Post
hey can u give answer of this?
can any one suggest how can i use micro logic 1400 for analog input? i have only micro logic 1400 controller box, i don't have any expansion module so how can i read sensor value ? and how to mention (what to use) in programming software?
Open a new thread for your question, or search in the forum. It has nothing to do with the OP subject.
Old December 5th, 2017, 09:55 AM   #9
janner_10
Supporting Member
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLC Pie Guy View Post
I simply love the fact that I can have an interesting job that can support my family well.
Same for me, the job is interesting and mostly challenging, but first and foremost, I need to pay the mortgage and support my family.
Old December 5th, 2017, 04:30 AM   #10
chirag jadav
India

Old December 9th, 2017, 02:39 AM   #11
ganutenator
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag jadav View Post
and the days you don't like it
Old December 5th, 2017, 04:38 AM   #12
ianingram
Lifetime Supporting Member
Australia

I have two (older) brothers. One is an accountant, the other is an electrician. I just couldn't see myself wearing a suit to work everyday...

So I applied for electrical apprenticeships.

I also have a sister that worked as a computer programmer in the early days of computers (remember "Mainframe" computers?)

Once I started working, I realised that there was always something else to learn. I came across industrial electricians that were all "electricians", but some seemed to be more skilled and knowledgeable than others.

I was always worried about keeping my job, and being employable in the future, so I took any opportunity that I had to learn something new. I also took some small risks in changing jobs to learn new skills. Additionally, I was also lucky when asked by a friend to do some teaching duties at a local college while I was still quite young (around 28).

It has taken some time to find some job satisfaction - I have been in my present job for 12 years, but before this job I didn't stay longer than 3-5 years in one role.

In my present job I do electrical CAD & design, PLC/HMI/SCADA programming, setting up drives, instruments and anything else that I am asked to do... so I have a fair variety of work, NOT just PLC's.

I have worked in maintenance roles where the electrician's job is only to fix breakdowns - I found this boring waiting for stuff to happen - so much better in my role today where there is always something to do..
Old December 5th, 2017, 07:21 AM   #13
Peter Nachtwey
United States

What else would I do? I am an engineer to the bone. I like the engineering challenges but I also like winning projects from my competitors. Some of it is marketing. I am in Japan now. Been to Toyota, Mazada, UBE, and others.

I could have retired long ago bit there is too much fight left in me.

I have algorithms and things waiting to be implement into our controllers that will probably never be implemented while I am still able to work or alive. Sometimes I go to work and sit in my lazy boy recliner. Yes, I have a lazy boy recliner in my office. No one gives me **** because am the boss and they still haven't caught up with implement my algorithms.

Meanwhile I play in my office thinking of new stuff to figure out.
Sometimes I go crazy and figure out why
1+2+3+4+5+.......=-1/12
I can thank Norm D for that one.
Then I moved on to the Reimann zeta function.
Ok, I know it has nothing to do with motion control or PLCs.
Maybe I should try to figure out the answer to life the universe and everything. Quantum mechanics is a good start.
Deep thought took too long and failed.
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:33 AM   #14
kwade
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nachtwey View Post
Maybe I should try to figure out the answer to life the universe and everything. Quantum mechanics is a good start.
Deep thought took too long and failed.
Excellent book series. I just recently passed the large hardcover off to a friend.
I would offer that Deep Thought did NOT fail, but that the mice failed to consider the capabilities of the computer itself.
Old December 6th, 2017, 08:41 AM   #15
dwoodlock
United States

Unfortunately I don't get to do ground up builds really anymore, but overall the sense of accomplishment you get from figuring out something that you've never encountered before.

I love that quite often you are faced with an issue that you've never dealt with before, and you (barring other tasks) are allowed to focus on it and in the process become intimately familiar with the machine/process/mechanics of how it works.

Any time you can jump into the middle of nowhere and find the way out, I find it extremely rewarding.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum