You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 6th, 2018, 03:01 PM   #1
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

OT : how cool

Launch and came back, nice programming

http://www.spacex.com/webcast
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Old February 6th, 2018, 03:19 PM   #2
benaiahhenry
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Just watched it as well, pretty awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSwFU6tY1c
Old February 6th, 2018, 03:26 PM   #3
Ken Roach
United States

Packed thirty of my colleagues into the conference room to cheer for it. We had a small role in design and tooling for the launch tower and parts of the payload fairing, so the boss didn't mind the productivity hit.

I also saw my first Model 3 on the highway today, and watched the fastest convertible in history leave the planet.
Old February 7th, 2018, 04:07 AM   #4
geniusintraining
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Roach View Post
We had a small role in design and tooling for the launch tower and parts of the payload fairing
Its very cool to know you had a part in anything like that, we help build the circuit boards on the Mars Rover and a lot of other space technology, they have to be able to handle high heats
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Old February 6th, 2018, 03:31 PM   #5
dmroeder
United States

We packed about a dozen people into one of our conference rooms and watched it too!
Old February 6th, 2018, 03:56 PM   #6
padees
United States

Really Cool!

The last launch I watched was the Challenger. It was a somber day at work after that. To the Heroes that forged the way!
Old February 6th, 2018, 05:19 PM   #7
Aabeck
United States

Not too off-topic.

I'm sure at least one PLC was used somewhere making parts, maybe fueling, moving, etc...
Old February 6th, 2018, 05:49 PM   #8
Doug-P
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aabeck View Post
Not too off-topic.

I'm sure at least one PLC was used somewhere making parts, maybe fueling, moving, etc...
IIRC, a PLC-3 ran the transporter which carried the shuttles, and others, from the hangar to the launch pad. Probably a CLX these days.

Let's eat, Grandma!

Words are very important, but punctuation saves lives...
Old February 6th, 2018, 08:32 PM   #9
Jeev
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug-P View Post
IIRC, a PLC-3 ran the transporter which carried the shuttles, and others, from the hangar to the launch pad. Probably a CLX these days.
Are you sure it wasn't an Arduino or R-Pi?
Old February 6th, 2018, 11:04 PM   #10
Doug-P
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeev View Post
Are you sure it wasn't an Arduino or R-Pi?
From the link: The two crawler-transporters were designed and built by Marion Power Shovel Company using components designed and built by Rockwell International. Soo, Arduino/Rpi? Doubtful.

For those who missed it - Falcon 9 Heavy Launch

Let's eat, Grandma!

Words are very important, but punctuation saves lives...
Old February 7th, 2018, 11:12 AM   #11
Peter Nachtwey
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aabeck View Post
Not too off-topic.

SpaceX uses about 7 of our motion controllers for testing. Actually all the US private space programs use our motion controllers for testing. There are at least 5 private companies that are trying to make it to space. JPL used one of our motion controllers for testing the landing radar of the Mars Phoenix program.

Elon Musk is doing his part to help out. There is no money in getting to Mars. There is nothing there that could be brought back. It would be better to mine asteroids for rare earth and precious metals.
Old February 7th, 2018, 11:38 AM   #12
geniusintraining
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nachtwey View Post
Elon Musk is doing his part to help out. There is no money in getting to Mars. There is nothing there that could be brought back. It would be better to mine asteroids for rare earth and precious metals.
Agree... his donations are more than I can count

He could make a lot more money mining BitCoin, the technology he (and his team) is discovering will help someday so I have no problems with what he is doing

I do find it odd that half a million people will die from the flu this year and we dont know how to stop but we can send a car into space, have the rockets return so they can be reused
Old February 7th, 2018, 11:56 AM   #13
dmroeder
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniusintraining View Post
I do find it odd that half a million people will die from the flu this year and we dont know how to stop but we can send a car into space, have the rockets return so they can be reused
I'm not sure that it is all that odd. Rocket science is hard, biology is harder.
Old February 7th, 2018, 01:09 PM   #14
kamenges
United States

Quote:
Originally posted by dmroeder:

Rocket science is hard, biology is harder.
I agree. Rocket science isn't even rocket science anymore. We aren't talking Robert Goddard and Werner von Braun here. While the SpaceX launch and recovery is a pretty cool thing to see it is more of a tweak on past technology than it is a ground-breaking technological advancement. All the really hard control stuff they are doing needed to be solved in order to launch the thing in the first place. It is certainly not conceptually harder than the double inverted pendulum videos that you see on the internet. It is the unmodeled details and the fact that you can't do non-destructive system tests that make things difficult.

Disease biology is a constantly moving target, both on the pathogen side and the infected side. The cost of failure is extremely high and unbridled testing is ethically unacceptable; the two things that slow development of ANYTHING to a snails pace.

Keith
Old February 8th, 2018, 06:04 AM   #15
geniusintraining
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmroeder View Post
I'm not sure that it is all that odd. Rocket science is hard, biology is harder.
Its was more of a example than anything, point being how one can progress so much and another industry seems like its not moving at all

Another example... train wrecks, we have self driving cars but we have trains that collide? we had one this week in SC that killed a few and hurt a hundred, I understand we will always have failures in equipment but we should not train wrecks because of human error (unintentional)
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum