You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old May 17th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #1
gphillips
United States

RS Logix 500

I have RS Logix 500 Standard Edition Version 3.01.09 that is on a PC running Win 95.
It was purchased in '99 and the operating system requirements were Win 95 or NT v.4.0.
I now need to install it on a laptop running XP Pro. Should I anticipate any problems?
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #2
mgvol
United States

I believe the oldest version of RSLogix 500 that will run on XP is V 5.1 or V 5.2. I'll have to confirm that. The current version is 7.0 (7.10 available as a web-download only).
Old May 17th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #3
mgvol
United States

Looking back thru the release notes, it would appear that the earliest version of RSLogix500 that was verified to run on XP was V 5.00.10.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #4
dalem
United States

I run V4.50 on XP. Only thing I remember was having to udate RSLinx, with a patch D/L from Rockwell.

I know all things are not perfect, but when W XP was coming out, I thought it had some sort of backward compatability feature, which helped it run older programs? Maybe I only imagined such. I've only been using XP for the last 6-8 months or so. Prior to that I only did recovery work on other peoples XP machines, that went into their default boot looping issue, due to problems at start up.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #5
rsdoran
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

mgvol I think you mis-read or something, ver 5.00.00 may run on system that was upgraded to XP (may not too) and you had to obtain ver 5.200.00. If you have an XP system, especially XP home then it will be difficult if at all possible to install RSL500 unless it is version 5/20.00 or above. I only know this because I went thru it with AB and Siemens Simatic S7.

The funny part is that version 4.50, or earlier versions in some cases, would install without issues. The main problem with that is you will lose some features for newer processors etc. I have that problem now. I just noticed that I have ver 5.20 but this Win98 system I use still has ver 5.00.00.

As far as the new laptop thing goes the MAIN issue, if you get it to install and work, will be communications to some of the processors. Most new laptops do not have a serial port so if you were using a PIC then it will not work with USB or PCMCIA adapters. What you may have to do is purchase a UIC (USB adapter) for the plcs that use DH485. IF all your processors have a serial connection then you may use a USB/PCMCIA adapter.

Last edited by rsdoran; May 17th, 2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #6
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

What the guys are really trying to say is "get a support contract and upgrade so you get Windows XP compatibility and support for all the SLC-500 controllers and operating system features that have been released in the past seven years".
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum