Sink and Source

To get a good understanding of how PLC Inputs and Outputs are wired in, I want to make sure I have the correct understanding of sink and source. The way I understand it ; if a DC input or Output module has a common 0V DC and the wire from external device has a positive DC voltage on it, this would be wired up as a sink. And if a positive DC voltage was wired to the module where the voltage comes from a output module would be a source. This could also be wired with AC voltages where there is a common neutral or common 120v AC wire. If I am correct, great. If I am wrong, please let me know the correct explanation. Thank you all for your help in advance.

Thank you

Thank you for your reply. I understand that a Source is when the positive electrons are coming from an unknown to a known and negative electrons are comming from a known to an unknown source. and with a sink the positive electrons are coming from a known to a unknown source and negative electrons are coming from an unknown to a known source. My question is if the way I explaned above is if I have or do not have a good understanding of ways PLCs are hooked up for Sinking and sourcing. Thank you all for your help in advance to my understaning.

Greetings Maintenance Man ...

before we go any further with the “positive electrons” idea, let’s look at the picture below ...

sinksource2.JPG

suppose that you have a SOURCING-TYPE PLC input module (for example type 1746-IV16) ... that module would play the part of the “LOAD” in Figure A above ... the solid-state sensor that you’d need to connect would be a SINKING-TYPE sensor - also known as an NPN-type sensor ...

notice that the description above gives us ONE “sourcing-type” device and ONE “sinking-type” device to use in our circuit ... the “sourcing device” goes on the PLUS/POSITIVE side ... the “sinking device” goes on the MINUS/NEGATIVE side ...

now then ...

suppose that you have a SINKING-TYPE PLC input module (for example type 1746-IB16) ... that module would play the part of the “LOAD” in Figure B above ... the solid-state sensor that you’d need to connect would be a SOURCING-TYPE sensor - also known as a PNP-type sensor ...

notice that (just like before) the description above gives us ONE “sourcing-type” device and ONE “sinking-type” device to use in our circuit ... and (once again) the “sourcing device” goes on the PLUS/POSITIVE side ... the “sinking device” goes on the MINUS/NEGATIVE side ...

going one step further ...

now instead of input modules suppose that we talk about the PLC output modules instead ...

suppose that you have a SINKING-TYPE PLC output module (for example type 1746-OV16) ... that module would play the part of the “SWITCH” in Figure A above ... the “LOAD” that you’d need to connect would be a SOURCING-TYPE field device ...

notice that (as before) the description above gives us ONE “sourcing-type” device and ONE “sinking-type” device to use in our circuit ... and (once again) the “sourcing device” goes on the PLUS/POSITIVE side ... the “sinking device” goes on the MINUS/NEGATIVE side ...

now then ...

suppose that you have a SOURCING-TYPE PLC output module (for example type 1746-OB16) ... that module would play the part of the “SWITCH” in Figure B above ... the “LOAD” that you’d need to connect would be a SINKING-TYPE field device ...

notice (again) that the description above gives us ONE “sourcing-type” device and ONE “sinking-type” device to use in our circuit ... the “sourcing device” goes (as always) on the PLUS/POSITIVE side ... the “sinking device” goes on the MINUS/NEGATIVE side ...

nailing down the “big picture” ideas:

your basic DC circuit needs ONE “SOURCING” type device - and ONE “SINKING” type device ... the “SOURCING” device always goes on the PLUS/POSITIVE side ... the “SINKING” device always goes on the MINUS/NEGATIVE side ...

survival tip: don’t think of the words “source” and “sink” of telling where the “juice” is actually coming from - and where it’s going to ... instead just remember that the “source” thing goes with PLUS/POSITIVE - and that the “sink” thing goes with MINUS/NEGATIVE ...

is it starting to come together? ...

I hope this helps ... and I apologize in advance for any Copy-Paste errors I might have made - I’m pretty tired at this time of day ...

Last edited:
another day - another thought ...

another thought that just occurred to me ...

make sure that you understand that SOME (most?) 24VDC devices don’t care at all about whether they’re connected in the SINKING or in the SOURCING side of the circuit ... for specific examples: a regular old-fashioned “incandescent” lamp bulb can be connected on either the sinking or the sourcing side of the circuit ... a regular old-fashioned “contact” switch can also be connected either on the sinking or the sourcing side of the circuit ...

but ...

some devices are specifically designed to work ONLY as a “sinker” - and some others are specifically designed to work ONLY as a “sourcer” ... hooking them up “backwards” usually (notice I did NOT say “never”) won’t damage anything - but the circuit won’t work correctly unless you get it right ...

devices that fit into this “sinking-only” or “sourcing-only” category are usually “solid-state” (electronic/transistor-type) devices ...

in the cases of sensors, the following little “rule of thumb” often comes in handy:

a SOURCING-type switch switches the Positive side of the circuit ... notice that “PNP” starts with the letter P (just like the word “positive”) ...

a SINKING-type switch switches the Negative side of the circuit ... notice that “NPN” starts with the letter N (just like the word “negative”) ...

this comes in handy because some models/brands of sensors aren’t marked as SOURCING or SINKING ... instead they’re marked PNP or NPN ... if you remember the little “rule” above, then you should be able to match the correct component with the circuit that you’re working with - regardless of which method is used to mark the device ...

and one more thing ... the terms “sinking” and “sourcing” apply to DC circuits ... in an AC circuit the current is constantly changing direction - so the same terms don’t come into play ...

party on ...

Last edited:
Thank you Ron

Thank you very much for all your help Ron. I appreciate you taking time to give me all this great information. It has given me a good understanding of Sink and source. Have a great day and a nice weekend.