You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old May 27th, 2004, 10:13 AM   #1
chorn46562
United States

ABB ACS 600 Drive unit

Hello all.
At my workplace we have an ABB ACS 600 drive unit that is working fine. We have a little problem with it since we swapped out an Emerson drive. The Emerson drive unit, we swapped out for an Allen Bradley drive unit, was controlling a feeder/straightener of a feeder system. The ABB drive is controling the reeler/dereeler unit of the feeder system. Since we swapped out the emerson the reeler/dereeler unit now will slightly rotate backwards or forwards depending on the signal we send it. I am hearing that this drive must be tuned and that should give us a zero reference that we can then use to stop the drive, hopefully this will work but our keypad on the ABB Drive has ceased to function correctly in that the LCD display seems to be displaying normally but no pushbuttons work now. I fear that the keypad unit has become defective but we have no extra unit to test this. Does anyone know anyone who we can contact to possibly use a keypad for a short period of time and then ship it back to them after we see if this is the problem? Maybe a rental place or similar.
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:27 AM   #2
DickDV
United States

The ACS600 drive is not a plug and play drive. It is a precision speed and torque regulator which needs some application-specific tuning work to get really excellent performance out of it.

If you have not engaged the services of an ABB Certified Startup Technician, it sounds like a good thing to do. I have commissioned several feeder/straightener systems and they will benefit nicely from a good startup procedure.

While you may have a bad keypad, it is more likely that someone has blocked out the keypad functions in the software for security reasons. A good tech could help you with that, as well.

I can't tell just where you are in Indiana but, I'm sure there are good startup people reasonably close by. Contact me at rbdv@sbcglobal.net if you can't find anyone in your area and I'll try to get a name and number for you.

This is an excellent drive for that application and it is a needless shame that it isn't working just perfectly for you.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum