Indusoft Web Studio 6.1

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a customer using this software at a remote site. I can access their machine as needed to copy files and monitor things. The previous person who did work on their system seems to have left a few things broken.

The main priority right now, is that the alarm notification stopped working. It used to send emails/text messages to the water plant operator when alarms occurred.

He gave me the installation disks for the software, but I am not sure if I would be able to install it on my machine and have "edit rights". In the box there is an empty bag marked "USB HARD KEY" and it is labeled runtime only license, so I am not even sure if the customer has development capability.

Assuming I can install it and get a free trial period or some similar means of working on their system, I am not sure which files I would need to copy from his machine in order to view and check things. I want to be very careful not to break something (else) by tinkering with his running system, and I have zero experience with Indusoft.

So, where do I look, what files do I need? Can someone offer me a crash course in Web studio alarms and notification?

Thanks,
Paul

Thanks for that!

I suppose that my 40 hours starts upon installation? It would be nice to get a total of 40 hours run time. I never seem to get enough time on the same job to actually make good use of a time limited demo...but I will check out the videos and forum too for answers to the specific questions about alarms.

The 40 hours is based on the time the software is running not just from when it was installed.

Also Indusoft is sold under several other names. I know Bosch, Advantec, Eaton, and Automation Direct all use Indusoft.

The 40 hours is based on the time the software is running not just from when it was installed.

Aha, that is great. Now I don't have to delay installing it.

CharlesM said:
Also Indusoft is sold under several other names. I know Bosch, Advantec, Eaton, and Automation Direct all use Indusoft.

This is one of a very few customers using Automation Direct PLCs and the only one (that I know of) using Indusoft.

IWS projects are very well contained within a single directory with a structure of subdirectories. There's no complicated Archestra or FactoryTalk style management to do.

Find the *.APP file, and that directory plus the subdirectories (alarm, config, database, data files, etc) will make up the whole application. Unless it's tied to an external SQL database, it should be easily portable.

I can't offer e-mail alarming help; all of my alarming is very simple onscreen stuff.

IWS projects are very well contained within a single directory with a structure of subdirectories. There's no complicated Archestra or FactoryTalk style management to do.

Find the *.APP file, and that directory plus the subdirectories (alarm, config, database, data files, etc) will make up the whole application. Unless it's tied to an external SQL database, it should be easily portable.

I can't offer e-mail alarming help; all of my alarming is very simple onscreen stuff.

Very good. Now that I have a demo installed, the .app file gave itself away by the new icon as the key file. I am trying to transfer the rest of the information to my machine now, and we will see what happens when I open it with the newer version.

Seems the customer does not have a development license, so I may have to install the older version in order to make changes that are compatible with his runtime license.

I don't know how many tags you are working with here, but you may look into getting a license. The software is very reasonably priced. Guess it just depends on your customer's budget.

I don't know how many tags you are working with here, but you may look into getting a license. The software is very reasonably priced. Guess it just depends on your customer's budget.

If I can just fix his alarming, that will be enough for now. I just got all the pieces transferred to my machine and opened the project to find out that I cannot drill into anything. Every where I double click I get "This operation is disabled for current user."

I can't look at screens, alarms settings, nothing.

I have not yet figured out how to log in, add myself as a user, set up rights, etc...

EDIT: Oh they're kiling me. I started the project... Tried to poke my way around and find a way to log in. No dice since I don't know the passwords. So I went to close it...sorry you don't have rights to close this project. So I killed it with task manager. A few seconds later, a wav file started playing over and over again "Houston we have a problem." with a blaring siren. I saw houston.wav among the files transferred with the project.

o_O

I guess I'll have to call the operator and ask for his password.

Last edited:
The user setting for design time are the same as runtime. So if your customer has a log in for the runtime it may help you with design time as well

No dice. The guy they fired did not share any info with them. No passwords, nothing. I am not sure how it automatically logs them in when they reboot the machine. What an ugly mess it is too. Half the values on the screen are test values (like a sawtooth pattern), 1/3 of them are missing altogether and the few that do work, are just ugly.

EDIT: Okay, I got in. I changed the "Administrator" password and it did not bark at me. I then had to start the application to log in. Then it allowed me to close it and I can now open up screens in design mode.

Last edited:
Well, I may have found the problem. I am not clear on what I need to do to fix it yet...In the startup script you are supposed to run CnfEmail command to set up the email settings and this can't be right...

cnfemail.png

Looks like there was an SMTP server on the local PC that was acting as a relay.

Argosoft was my favorite. You're going to have to examine the actual runtime PC to find the application.