You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old April 17th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #1
yang1216
China

Post How to open .cha file?

Hello all,
We have a equipment using PVC600 and microLogix 1100. The supplier have given us the PLC program and a .cha file which is the hmi program.
Now we want to modify the hmi screen, but I don't know how to open the .cha file. I have installed the connected components workbench 2.0 software. How can I import the .cha file into a pvc application?
And another question, in the ccw I cannot add a microLogix 1100 into the pvc application, how our equipment works?
Thanks in advance.
Old April 17th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #2
brendan.buchan
Australia

I haven't done a whole lot with the new Panelview Component series, but from what I understand the .cha file is the project/runtime file that the PVC screen works with, which is different to a project file created with Connected Components Workbench.

To use the .cha file, you will need to connect to the PVC to get to the programming interface (you can do this either via USB connection by browsing to 169.254.254.2, or Ethernet, by browsing to whatever you have set the IP to).

Once connected, you need to do a "file transfer" from your computer, to the PVC internal storage to load the .cha file. You will then be able to edit it.

I don't think you can add the ML1100 into the CCW programming software. I'm pretty sure that software is only designed for the Micro 810/30/50 series PLC's.

The ML1100 is programmed via RSLogix 500 only.

The screen will still work with the ML1100 though, the created tags directly access native addresses in the ML1100 (eg. B3:0/0).

Hope this points you in the right direction.
Old April 18th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #3
yang1216
China

Thanks very much, brendan.
You mean .cha is a executable file, like .exe.
I created a new PVC project. In the users/administrator/documents/CCW/myProject folder, there are .ccwsln file and a PanelView Devices folder. And in the PanelView Devices folder, there are PVcApplication1.cha, PVc Project.acfproj, and Libray.pvc. And all the files except PVcApplication1.cha can be opened by notebook. They are all text files. So I guess the .cha file is the project file like .cs or .vb in C# or VB.net project.
And additionly in CCW, I can export the PVC application to a .cha file.

Finally, is there a way to edit the PVC sreen offline?
Old April 18th, 2013, 05:29 AM   #4
jkerekes
United States

The .cha file is the application file for a PVc. I don't use CCW, but there was another thread around here describing how to use a .cha file. I use DesinStation which is free. You can edit offline.
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #5
gbeaker
Canada

To import a CHA runtime file in Connected Components Workbench - File Menu -> Import Application

CCW is exclusively for offline programming. The fact that you have it installed means you are already editing offline. If you want to edit online, you must connect via the USB or network cable and use the online editing software through a web browser like firefox or IE. Even if you use CCW to develop your applciation offline, you will still need to go online using the browser method of verify it.

Last edited by gbeaker; April 18th, 2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old April 18th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #6
yang1216
China

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkerekes View Post
The .cha file is the application file for a PVc. I don't use CCW, but there was another thread around here describing how to use a .cha file. I use DesinStation which is free. You can edit offline.
Thanks.
And please tell me how to find the thread you talked about.
Old April 18th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #7
yang1216
China

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeaker View Post
To import a CHA runtime file in Connected Components Workbench - File Menu -> Import Application

CCW is exclusively for offline programming. The fact that you have it installed means you are already editing offline. If you want to edit online, you must connect via the USB or network cable and use the online editing software through a web browser like firefox or IE. Even if you use CCW to develop your applciation offline, you will still need to go online using the browser method of verify it.
Thanks.
But I cannot find File Menu -> Import Application at all.
There are New, Open, Close, Save, Save As, Exit in File Menu, but no Import.
Old April 18th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #8
jkerekes
United States

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthr...highlight=.cha
Old April 18th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #9
yang1216
China

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkerekes View Post
Thank you.
But this thread is about how to export a .cha file, not how to open a .cha file.
Old April 18th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #10
jkerekes
United States

Yes, I realized that after I posted. I can't help you with CCW. I used DesignStation to program a PVc 1000 last year.
Old April 18th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #11
yang1216
China

Hi,all. I have made it. These are the steps.
1. create a new project and save. Then the software will automatically create "users/administrator/documents/CCW/myProject" folder, and create a PVcApplication1.cha file.
2. rename the .cha file that need to be edited to PVcApplication1, and copy, paste and cover the same name file.
3. open the new project again with CCW. The screens and tags are all there now.
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #12
gbeaker
Canada

try connected components workbench 3.0 - it has the import function.
Old October 13th, 2017, 02:20 PM   #13
fadabrent
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by yang1216 View Post
Hi,all. I have made it. These are the steps.
1. create a new project and save. Then the software will automatically create "users/administrator/documents/CCW/myProject" folder, and create a PVcApplication1.cha file.
2. rename the .cha file that need to be edited to PVcApplication1, and copy, paste and cover the same name file.
3. open the new project again with CCW. The screens and tags are all there now.
thank you very much this has assisted me
Old October 13th, 2017, 04:21 PM   #14
Levi G
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeaker View Post
If you want to edit online, you must connect via the USB or network cable and use the online editing software through a web browser like firefox or IE. Even if you use CCW to develop your applciation offline, you will still need to go online using the browser method of verify it.
You can no longer go online via a web browser with newer versions of CCW
Edit: I meant to say if you have a newer firmware in the Panelview Component then you will not be able to go online with a web browser by entering the ip address

Last edited by Levi G; October 13th, 2017 at 04:47 PM.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum