You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!


 
 
plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.
 
Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!


Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2017, 07:17 AM   #1
MorphuisOGrady
Member
Sweden

MorphuisOGrady is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Soderhamn
Posts: 540
Citect to Modicon via Modbus

Hi there,

Firstly I no nothing about Quantum PLCs and very little about Citect.

I have an old Win NT Citect SCADA system failure which I need to replace quickly.

I have the backup and have managed to restore it to Citect 7.2 which I'm told will run on Win 7 PC.

The communications board type in Citect is BOARDX and the IODevice is Modbus.

Without physically seeing this machine (its abroad) I'm guessing its using a standard onboard serial port for communications and not a dedicated comms card.

So what are my options giving I'm inexperienced with both Citect and Quantum PLCs?

Here are my thoughts...
1. Buy a PC with a serial port. Probably hard to find nowadays
2. Buy a PC and a USB to serial adapter
3. Install some sort of Ethernet module on the quantum PLC. - Driver and probably tags have to be reconfigured in CItect.
4. Install some sort of gateway -Serial to Modbus TCP/IP .
  Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 07:53 AM   #2
tragically1969
Member
United Kingdom

tragically1969 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: uk
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphuisOGrady View Post
Hi there,

Firstly I no nothing about Quantum PLCs and very little about Citect.

I have an old Win NT Citect SCADA system failure which I need to replace quickly.

I have the backup and have managed to restore it to Citect 7.2 which I'm told will run on Win 7 PC.

The communications board type in Citect is BOARDX and the IODevice is Modbus.

Without physically seeing this machine (its abroad) I'm guessing its using a standard onboard serial port for communications and not a dedicated comms card.

So what are my options giving I'm inexperienced with both Citect and Quantum PLCs?

Here are my thoughts...
1. Buy a PC with a serial port. Probably hard to find nowadays
2. Buy a PC and a USB to serial adapter
3. Install some sort of Ethernet module on the quantum PLC. - Driver and probably tags have to be reconfigured in CItect.
4. Install some sort of gateway -Serial to Modbus TCP/IP .
Is it RS485 or RS232 ?

Either way Modbus Gateway is probably the easiest option, just use the Schneider EGX150, works well, then just change the comms in the Citect project to be Modnet, there is a specific version of Modnet for Quantums.
  Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 08:07 AM   #3
MorphuisOGrady
Member
Sweden

MorphuisOGrady is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Soderhamn
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragically1969 View Post
Is it RS485 or RS232 ?

Either way Modbus Gateway is probably the easiest option, just use the Schneider EGX150, works well, then just change the comms in the Citect project to be Modnet, there is a specific version of Modnet for Quantums.
I'm not sure. I cant find this information in the Citect project. It just says Modbus. I havent been to site.

If I use the EGX150 I just need to change the driver in Citect? Nothing on the PLC side? I don't even have software for Quantum PLCs?

Any thoughts on the USB-Serial convertor option?
  Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 08:36 AM   #4
tragically1969
Member
United Kingdom

tragically1969 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: uk
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphuisOGrady View Post
I'm not sure. I cant find this information in the Citect project. It just says Modbus. I havent been to site.

If I use the EGX150 I just need to change the driver in Citect? Nothing on the PLC side? I don't even have software for Quantum PLCs?

Any thoughts on the USB-Serial convertor option?
Shouldn't need to change anything in the PLC end, if Citect has access to the registers now then a gateway will

If you don't know what serial comms its on which adopter are you going to buy ? If you have the Quantum project then you should be able to see what comms cards it has fitted or do you not have that either ? Possibly get a photograph of the quantum rack to see whats fitted ?

The EGX can be RS232 or RS485, should be a fairly simple job if you go that way.
  Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 08:46 AM   #5
MorphuisOGrady
Member
Sweden

MorphuisOGrady is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Soderhamn
Posts: 540
I have a photo of the Quantum rack but without ever using this brand of PLC I don't know what I'm looking at.

What software is used (around late 90s) to open such a program?
  Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 08:50 AM   #6
tragically1969
Member
United Kingdom

tragically1969 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: uk
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphuisOGrady View Post
I have a photo of the Quantum rack but without ever using this brand of PLC I don't know what I'm looking at.

What software is used (around late 90s) to open such a program?
Post a photo of it, i will be able to give you the best guess. Software could be Concept.

But like i say, the Quantum shouldn't need to be modified
  Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 09:06 AM   #7
MorphuisOGrady
Member
Sweden

MorphuisOGrady is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Soderhamn
Posts: 540
That would be great. Seems to be a problem with uploading pictures though. When I add the attachment I get the following error:

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters.
  Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 10:40 AM   #8
tragically1969
Member
United Kingdom

tragically1969 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: uk
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphuisOGrady View Post
That would be great. Seems to be a problem with uploading pictures though. When I add the attachment I get the following error:

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters.
Just make the message longer ? Or private message it to me.
  Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 10:58 AM   #9
MorphuisOGrady
Member
Sweden

MorphuisOGrady is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Soderhamn
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragically1969 View Post
Just make the message longer ? Or private message it to me.
Haha if only it were that simple. Must be something wrong with uploading.

I tried a PM also. No option to upload. Just a link.

Last edited by MorphuisOGrady; December 4th, 2017 at 11:01 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ethernet TCP/IP and Allen-Bradley CompactLogix (RSlogix 5000) CAAJ LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 14 December 18th, 2015 12:46 PM
Citect Vs WinCC - Long Doug_Adam LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 22 October 3rd, 2014 12:56 PM
Modbus Master not polling the Modbus Slave through an EtherNet/IP Connection mihiri LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 3 July 15th, 2010 02:41 AM
the connection of citect with MODBUS and IP Master (ISYGLT) Marc_s LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 0 August 16th, 2007 01:46 AM
Mitsubishi Q Series Modbus TCP module QJ71MT91 set up help req'd... Pocko LIVE PLC Questions And Answers 0 July 30th, 2006 02:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.


.