You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 12th, 2017, 11:22 AM   #31
dwoodlock
United States

If this is a new project, where you are starting from the ground floor than like Joltron says, you should be using symbolic addressing.

Using symbolic, after your create the DB, doesn't matter if its db1, or 2 or 3, or 4, or 100

You go in and define the variables you want to use in the block, and what type of variable they are. Once you have done that, you can then reference those variables through your HMI, or however else you want to manipulate them.
Old December 12th, 2017, 11:22 AM   #32
JOLTRON
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodlock View Post
Are you defining the block as non-optimized, or optimized?
Not to sound rude, but if the OP isn't aware that a DB can be addressed from the HMI, they may not know what the difference is between optimized and non.

I am assuming but it seems the OP is more familiar with address based systems.
Old December 12th, 2017, 11:24 AM   #33
dwoodlock
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOLTRON View Post
Not to sound rude, but if the OP isn't aware that a DB can be addressed from the HMI, they may not know what the difference is between optimized and non.

I am assuming but it seems the OP is more familiar with address based systems.
Old December 12th, 2017, 12:22 PM   #34
Alfons Gessl
South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by suboliu View Post
Hello everyone.
I have question on using Siemens PLC 1200 for Data Block move.
The question is: I have 30 words, like MW20---MW29
MW30---MW39
MW40---MW49
I would like to move these Words Block to MW100--MW109
when condition=1, move MW20---MW29 to MW100--MW109
when condition=2, move MW30---MW39 to MW100--MW109
when condition=3, move MW40---MW49 to MW100--MW109
because 1200 doesn't like 200 that it have BLKMOVE_W instruction,
1200 has MOVE_BLK instruction, but it only moves in global DB move, if so, how can I move MW20---MW29 to global DB? and then How can move global DB to MW100--MW109?

Thanks!
check your CPU version if it is V4 or higher it should be ok anything below causes problems I used the simple MOVE instruction to get around
Old December 12th, 2017, 06:38 PM   #35
suboliu
Canada

Quote:
If this is a new project, where you are starting from the ground floor than like Joltron says, you should be using symbolic addressing.

Using symbolic, after your create the DB, doesn't matter if its db1, or 2 or 3, or 4, or 100

You go in and define the variables you want to use in the block, and what type of variable they are. Once you have done that, you can then reference those variables through your HMI, or however else you want to manipulate them.
Thanks for your help!
but I don't totally understand what you said.
you mean that if I created a global DB1, I defined symbolic A1,A2,A3---- as words in this DB, so I can use DB1.DBA1, DB1.DBA2.. as Tags in HMI?

you said "You go in and define the variables you want to use in the block, and what type of variable they are. Once you have done that, you can then reference those variables through your HMI". can you say more detail?

appreciate!!
Old December 12th, 2017, 06:39 PM   #36
suboliu
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfons gessl View Post
check your cpu version if it is v4 or higher it should be ok anything below causes problems i used the simple move instruction to get around
v2
Old December 12th, 2017, 06:45 PM   #37
JOLTRON
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

https://support.industry.siemens.com...dti=0&lc=en-WW

Here is a link to some programming guidelines for TIA portal. It will explain symbolic addressing better than I can in a post 😁
Old December 12th, 2017, 06:52 PM   #38
suboliu
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOLTRON View Post
Is there a specific reason you are stuck on this 'indirect addressing'? Is it a requirement for the project?

TIA portal and the 1200 / 1500 PLC families are symbolic / tag based PLC's. Unless for some technical reason you NEED to deal with absolute addresses e.g. DB1.DBW2 you should be dealing with tags e.g. "PartDataDB.Dataset1"

Since you have a need to index and move through much data that is where Arrays and SCL will really shine.
Thank you very much!
I created a Global DB1, because I need indirect addressing, I created a Array in
DB1, element is word type. this Array elements are source1, source2, source3.
my question is : how to change source1, source2, source3 value through HMI? in HMI, I directly use source1, source2 as tags?

thank you very much again!
Old December 12th, 2017, 07:04 PM   #39
dwoodlock
United States

When you start "building" the hmi screens you can drop elements in and then they will have a property called "Process value" where you can select the path to the DB tag (in your case "source1") that you want to use. You will also have a number of other properties to sort through, but I'm sure you can figure it out.
Old December 12th, 2017, 07:07 PM   #40
suboliu
Canada

Quote:
When you start "building" the hmi screens you can drop elements in and then they will have a property called "Process value" where you can select the path to the DB tag (in your case "source1") that you want to use. You will also have a number of other properties to sort through, but I'm sure you can figure it out.
Appreciate with your help!
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum