You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:20 PM   #16
daba
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United Kingdom

Its a perfectly good answer - wish I could get the messages across with so few words
abtrain@tiscali.co.uk
www.abtrain.co.uk
tel: 07506 73 9999
nil illegitimi carborundem

Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:40 PM   #17
Kev77
United States

Can you give me an example on when to use a Bool[32]. For stuff like process_ready, I will use single Bools, but for oneshots, test bits, and alarm bits it has always been easier to use DINT's. DINT's work real well in alarming.

Thanks for the responses!
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:06 PM   #18
rkukl
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

I would kindly suggest reading the following Tech support article on the AB website

answer ID> 41378 - ControlLogix data always align to 32 Bit boundary
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:14 PM   #19
TConnolly
United States

Kev77

If using DINTS works for you for oneshot storage bits then keep doing it that way.

For alarms I've developed an affinity for ALMD and ALMA - they are just too handy to not use.

For test bits and the like we define a UDT and call the type PROGRAMMER. It contains a set of Bools called AlwaysON, AlwaysOFF, TOGGLE, a general purpose bool[32] array, a DINT array, a REAL array, a TIMER array, a COUNTER array, and a CONTROL ARRAY. Then tags are created of the PROGRAMMER data type for each of our programmers. This lets us all automatically see which programmer is troubleshooting, debugging, or testing changes to a program. If someone else sees XIC CONNOLLY.AlwaysOFF on a rung then they know it is me who has temporarily disabled something as opposed to an AFI that carries no information with it.

If I want to group bits then I frequently use bit overlays. I hesitate to get too deep into overlays as it is an advanced programming topic, but here goes anyways. An overlay is a special kind of a UDT.

For example, I might have a DINT tag named State. However I want each bit in STATE to have a name, not just a bit position number. I might want something where
State.0 = Reset State
State.1 = Pick up Part
State.2 = Move Part to Fixture
State.3 = Clamp Part
State.4 = Apply glue,
etc.
But rather than remember what each state number is I would like to be able to name each bit, much like a timer has a .DN or .TT bit that has a name as well as a number.
State.Reset
State.Pickup
State.MovePart
State.ClampPart
State.Glue
The overlay lets me reference bits by name and at the same time do something like
MOV 2 STATE (sets state to pickup state)
or
CLR STATE (clear all state bits)
or
State:=State*2 (to advance to the next state, set the next bit up, and clear all others)

This requires that the bits be from a DINT in the UDT. They cannot be bools.

Overlays can offer some significant advantages but they also come with some big disadvantages. You cannot create them in RSLogix5000. You have to create an external XML file to define the overlay and once you import it into your Logix5000 project you cannot change it or edit it. This requires some careful planning. If you want to know more then search the AB KB for the tech notes on bit overlays and I've posted a couple of threads with overlay examples in them that you can find with a forum search.

That's the beauty of processors, they don't have emotions they just run code - The PLC Kid.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 09:22 PM   #20
Kev77
United States

It makes sense to do it that way. I will check out the AB technotes on overlays and see if I can wrap my head around it some more. It looks like it would work well in sequencing.

As for alarming DINT's work well when working with Panelviews. I agree about using the ALMD and ALMA.

Thanks for the class, tell me where to send the check...
Old January 24th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #21
Craig Spinharney
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TConnolly View Post
Kev77

If using DINTS works for you for oneshot storage bits then keep doing it that way.

For alarms I've developed an affinity for ALMD and ALMA - they are just too handy to not use.

For test bits and the like we define a UDT and call the type PROGRAMMER. It contains a set of Bools called AlwaysON, AlwaysOFF, TOGGLE, a general purpose bool[32] array, a DINT array, a REAL array, a TIMER array, a COUNTER array, and a CONTROL ARRAY. Then tags are created of the PROGRAMMER data type for each of our programmers. This lets us all automatically see which programmer is troubleshooting, debugging, or testing changes to a program. If someone else sees XIC CONNOLLY.AlwaysOFF on a rung then they know it is me who has temporarily disabled something as opposed to an AFI that carries no information with it.

If I want to group bits then I frequently use bit overlays. I hesitate to get too deep into overlays as it is an advanced programming topic, but here goes anyways. An overlay is a special kind of a UDT.

For example, I might have a DINT tag named State. However I want each bit in STATE to have a name, not just a bit position number. I might want something where
State.0 = Reset State
State.1 = Pick up Part
State.2 = Move Part to Fixture
State.3 = Clamp Part
State.4 = Apply glue,
etc.
But rather than remember what each state number is I would like to be able to name each bit, much like a timer has a .DN or .TT bit that has a name as well as a number.
State.Reset
State.Pickup
State.MovePart
State.ClampPart
State.Glue
The overlay lets me reference bits by name and at the same time do something like
MOV 2 STATE (sets state to pickup state)
or
CLR STATE (clear all state bits)
or
State:=State*2 (to advance to the next state, set the next bit up, and clear all others)

This requires that the bits be from a DINT in the UDT. They cannot be bools.

Overlays can offer some significant advantages but they also come with some big disadvantages. You cannot create them in RSLogix5000. You have to create an external XML file to define the overlay and once you import it into your Logix5000 project you cannot change it or edit it. This requires some careful planning. If you want to know more then search the AB KB for the tech notes on bit overlays and I've posted a couple of threads with overlay examples in them that you can find with a forum search.
Unfortunately, Rockwell has recommended not going much over 200 ALMA & ALMD instructions in a controler due to overhead required to process them. I suspect the Version 21 changes will lessen the impact of that restrition but only for the 557X series of ControlLogix processors.
Old January 24th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #22
Doug-P
United States

Quote:
For the ControlLogix Boolean memory is allocated differently by the compiler and word instructions don't work on it. The compiler allocates a full 32 bit word for a stand alone boolean but it still may contain only boolean information and so word level instructions are not allowed. When you create an array the memory allocation is word optimized but the data type remains the same, meaning you may not use word level instruction on it.
Thanks. I learned something today. (I'm still in PLC-5 land)

Let's eat, Grandma!

Words are very important, but punctuation saves lives...
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:27 AM   #23
Daniel_LeRoy
United States

Thx Guys

Good thread. I learned a lot!
Old August 23rd, 2012, 05:27 AM   #24
robw53
United Kingdom

Dava,

I would be interested in seeing a practical example

"Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted"
Albert Einstein
Old May 16th, 2016, 09:04 AM   #25
ghriver
United States

how to set multiple booleans

just do it in the structured text. The below will set 64 booleans to 1

Code:
for iCount := 0 to 63 by 1 do
	Hmi_Bools[iCount] := 1;
end_for;
Old June 6th, 2016, 07:41 PM   #26
daba
United Kingdom

Quote:
.... I prefer to use stand alone tags. I've never had a memory limitation problem from doing that and a boolean tag named Process_Ready is a lot more clear than B[19].
Have you never thought of making a "Process" tag a UDT of type "Process" that you can define.

Then you can make an array of "Process" tags, so your code will ultimately address Process[5].Ready

Make it even easier to read the ladder, make your "Reingestinate_Lacquick_Comspotle" Process tag as an Alias to Process[5], and the ladder reads clean. e.g Reingestinate_Lacquick_Comspotle.Ready

HMI access to your process data is simplified, because it only needs to interface to Process[5] - think "faceplates" for your process control screens.

Life can be simpler, just needs a bit of thought

Added : Note to self - check posting dates before adding replies, lol
abtrain@tiscali.co.uk
www.abtrain.co.uk

Last edited by daba; June 6th, 2016 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Old Posting....
Old December 12th, 2017, 02:20 PM   #27
SanDance
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie_carlton View Post
Second cwal61's suggestion. In logic you can do indirect, using '[]' to make it kind of like an array. If you don't alias the bit then you'll have to type in the bit number yourself from Factorytalk for a display reference.
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this one appeared in my google search: To be more explicit, you can use indirect addressing on a word, and have it act like a bit array by using:

WordTagName.[ArrayElementNumber]
Old December 12th, 2017, 08:42 PM   #28
daba
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDance View Post
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this one appeared in my google search: To be more explicit, you can use indirect addressing on a word, and have it act like a bit array by using:

WordTagName.[ArrayElementNumber]
Apology accepted, but your post is not relevant to the OP's problem. He wanted to know methods to clear a BOOL[nn] array.

Your example cites an indirection to the BOOL element number of a "word", and I assume you mean a DINT tag, correct me if I am mistaken.

All well and good, in context, until you need more than 32 BOOLean "flags".

PS. Welcome to the forum, make your stay here useful, to yourself and others.
abtrain@tiscali.co.uk
www.abtrain.co.uk

Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum