You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 13th, 2017, 12:15 PM   #1
beckysue
Supporting Member
United States

Crimson 3.0 Emulator: 64 bit machine?

Any updates on running the Emulator on a 64 bit machine? It works about 20% of the time for me, otherwise I get an error message, sometimes different ones, each time I try and download to the emulator.

2017-12-13 09-35-07_Download Database.jpg

2017-12-13 10-03-38_Emulator Executable.jpg

2017-12-13 10-03-55_Visual Studio Just-In-Time Debugger.jpg

Stopping runtime software.jpg
Old December 13th, 2017, 01:24 PM   #2
OkiePC
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

I run the emulator all the time on a win64 machine. About 1 in 1000 times, I will see an error which results in me having to go into services and stop g3sim.exe

99% of the time when sending updates to the emulator, it will hang, I wait 3 seconds, click abort, send again and it works. This has been going on for many years, but since it is only a 3 second delay, I just learned to work around it.

I have not seen the Visual Studio error you have pictured that I recall.

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and Crimson build 700.00

Sidenote: Red Lion has infomred me that there are no plans to implement the emulator in Crimson 3.1 to which I basically responded BOOOO! I love the emulator even with its quirks.
Old December 13th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #3
beckysue
Supporting Member
United States

Thumbs up

Thank you, I also use the "wait, abort and send again" method but was just wondering if there was something I could do to fix that quirk. I've found that if I leave the emulator window open, it sends more reliably as well.

Another silly thing I've spent a day trying to figure out: I'd like the text on a data tag (flag tag) to flash when on, and stay steady when off. I've found how to do the flashing on the fill, but I want the fill to remain transparent. Any suggestions?
Old December 13th, 2017, 01:51 PM   #4
Steve Etter
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

I have NEVER been able to get the emulator to work. I always get the Just-In-Time Debugger error. No idea how to fix it, either.
Old December 13th, 2017, 05:58 PM   #5
OkiePC
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Etter View Post
I have NEVER been able to get the emulator to work. I always get the Just-In-Time Debugger error. No idea how to fix it, either.
What build of Crimson? What PC OS are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckysue View Post
Thank you, I also use the "wait, abort and send again" method but was just wondering if there was something I could do to fix that quirk. I've found that if I leave the emulator window open, it sends more reliably as well.

Another silly thing I've spent a day trying to figure out: I'd like the text on a data tag (flag tag) to flash when on, and stay steady when off. I've found how to do the flashing on the fill, but I want the fill to remain transparent. Any suggestions?
Sure, just set the text color to flashing (on the object, not at the tag properties). Use the tag value as the enable for the flash properties.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Crimson Example.zip (8.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by OkiePC; December 13th, 2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old December 14th, 2017, 06:49 AM   #6
Steve Etter
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiePC View Post
What build of Crimson? What PC OS are you using?
Build 694.000 and Win7 Enterprise, SP1, 64-Bit
Old December 14th, 2017, 08:59 AM   #7
Steve Etter
United States

Ok. I "think" I've figured out my problem anyway. It has to do with using the Driver: "Allen-Bradley Native Tags via L5K file Enhanced"

Before I begin, though, I downloaded and installed Build 702.004. Same problems. Emulator doesn't work. So...

I started with a new project and set it up with a single rectangle with no data. Emulator worked.

I added "Data" to the rectangle and created an ethernet communications path using my "normal" AB L5K file Enhanced driver and imported an L5K file I had saved earlier. I then assigned a tag to the "Data" in the rectangle. Emulator did not work. Same error I have been seeing all along.

I modified the communications to use the AB L5K file (not Enhanced), imported the L5K file again and the tag. Emulator worked.

This makes me believe the Emulator simply can't handle the AB "Enhanced" driver for some reason.

Until I get more clarification, I guess I will have to stop using the Enhanced driver or not use the Emulator.

Sorry to have hijacked this thread....

Steve
Old December 14th, 2017, 11:21 AM   #8
OkiePC
United States

Do you have your emulator ports mapped to the proper PC ports? I have not used the emulator with a Logix5K processor in quite some time, and I don't remember which driver I was using but it did work and did communicate with the real PLC as long as I set up the emulator ports properly.
Old December 14th, 2017, 12:04 PM   #9
Steve Etter
United States

Yes, I did. That was one of the things I noticed when I began working with the other drivers. The TCP Port it was successful on was 789 while the Enhanced driver defaulted to 44818. I changed the Enhanced to the 789.
Old December 15th, 2017, 08:59 PM   #10
OkiePC
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Etter View Post
Yes, I did. That was one of the things I noticed when I began working with the other drivers. The TCP Port it was successful on was 789 while the Enhanced driver defaulted to 44818. I changed the Enhanced to the 789.
Well I think RSLinx uses port 44818, so if you are online with the PLC using RSLinx, then a port conflict might be hosing up the emulator. I am not sure if you can change the port number for the L5K Enhanced driver in Crimson and have it succeed but I suppose it is worth trying. Or, try shutting down RSLinx and see it it will run... I am just making guesses here...
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum