You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old December 28th, 2017, 06:48 AM   #1
CJlikesCHAIRS
Abu Dhabi

GE Profinet Ethernet vs Fiber for remote IO panels?

Is there a difference using ethernet or fiber in GE Proficy 9.0 using profinet? We have an issue where a panel has been moved and ethernet can't be used (about 440 ft ethernet run) and it isn't working properly. Is there anything we have to do in the PLC program to change the connection to use fiber instead of ethernet? The switch in the main panel has 8 ethernet and 4 fiber ports and I think our PNS cards (RX3i) have 2 slots for the SFP cages.

I've never used any fiber before, just looking for some advice/examples on how the fiber works within Proficy or if there are no changes needed.
Old December 28th, 2017, 09:58 AM   #2
Bit_Bucket_07
United States

Converting wired Ethernet to Ethernet over fiber optics should be invisible to the end devices, although I have encountered some media converters that were incompatible with others. It's possible that you have a defective switch or port, or that your fiber optics are not properly terminated.

Generally speaking, Ethernet is Ethernet, regardless of the transmission media.
Old December 28th, 2017, 10:01 AM   #3
CJlikesCHAIRS
Abu Dhabi

I guess now it's time to check the fiber terminations. Thanks for the help!
Old December 28th, 2017, 10:07 AM   #4
Bit_Bucket_07
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJlikesCHAIRS View Post
I guess now it's time to check the fiber terminations. Thanks for the help!
If all else fails, you could simply install an Ethernet switch as a repeater somewhere between the two terminating points (assuming that this is a physically viable option) and stay on wired Ethernet.
Old December 28th, 2017, 12:27 PM   #5
sjohnson
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Lengths make a difference as standard Ethernet would You could use a repeater or Switch but would not do it in a high speed servo type setting.. Being a HMI probably not an issue but well worth the effort to see the results. Read this off one of the Profinet PDF,s I have on hand.. Not all switches are created equal either.. Had one that worked with a Emerson SM Profinet module but not the SI Profinet.
From PDF
Its 100Meters for Electrical (Cat5/Cat6 cable)

Its 26Km for Optical (Fiber optics network)

Its 100Meters for Radio wave (WLAN)
Old December 28th, 2017, 05:02 PM   #6
henrynp1
United States

You are using the discovery tool with your computer connected to to the profinet network, correct? You may check the device to make sure you have the correct GSDML file. If you have a newer version installed, you will more than likely not find / or have issues communicating
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum