You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 6th, 2018, 04:47 AM   #1
aand74
Belgium

Connecting HMI to plc in another TIA project

We have a project with S7 1500 and WinCC professional (TIA).
The WinCC professional should also display some screen of another S7 1500 plc.
That PLC is from another machine builder.
The machine builder has his own TIA portal project, and will continue to use that one, and will not use a project that contains all hardware (our plc and their plc).
I now should copy the HMI srceens he has prepared in his project to my project.
What is the best way to connect to the tags of his plc?
Do I put in his plc in my project (with at least the datablok containing the variables referenced by the tags)?
What if his databloks have optimized access?
If he adds one variabele at the end of a datablok, will the old variables above still be acceseble by my HMI?
Or how should I do it : the machine builder still using his own project for the plc, and I accessing tags in his plc from my own project?
Old February 6th, 2018, 07:12 AM   #2
mk42
United States

Check or the device proxy feature. The example below shows what to do for the HMI, but they'll need to export a file from their project for the PLC part. TIA help should have more info.

https://support.industry.siemens.com.../view/73502293
Old February 6th, 2018, 08:03 AM   #3
JesperMP
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Denmark

I question the logic of importing the HMI from another project, in order to assemble all in one common HMI.
It is certainly doable, and there are several strategies to chose from.
But as you are already seem to worry about, the problem is that every change in the machine HMI has to be recreated in the "common" HMI. This may be a small nuissance or it may be a big problem.
And there may be an issue with who will be in control when there are 2 HMIs for the same machine.

Is it an acceptable compromise to use remote control of the local HMI via smartservice ?
When using smartservice, the user on the remotely controlled HMI will be locked out. This may seem as a nuissance, but it is actually a proper way to do it. In this way two operators will not "fight" each other.
Old February 6th, 2018, 09:51 AM   #4
aand74
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperMP View Post
I question the logic of importing the HMI from another project, in order to assemble all in one common HMI.
It is certainly doable, and there are several strategies to chose from.
But as you are already seem to worry about, the problem is that every change in the machine HMI has to be recreated in the "common" HMI. This may be a small nuissance or it may be a big problem.
And there may be an issue with who will be in control when there are 2 HMIs for the same machine.

Is it an acceptable compromise to use remote control of the local HMI via smartservice ?
When using smartservice, the user on the remotely controlled HMI will be locked out. This may seem as a nuissance, but it is actually a proper way to do it. In this way two operators will not "fight" each other.
The machine builder will not deliver an HMI.
Normally he does in his standard machine, but here the customer wants it to integrate it in het main HMI. We can consider that after startup, the machinebuilder will not, or not often make changes to the program.
I just want to know if copying his plc in my project would be a good option, or if I realy need to use the proxy function.
The machine builder will work in his separate Tia project.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum