You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old May 5th, 2017, 02:32 PM   #1
Bateman87
United States

HoneyWell Barcode to Micro 1400 Via Channel 2

Hello all. I am having one heck of a time and am hoping someone can point me in the correct direction.

I have a HoneyWell 1900G-HD2 barcode scanner that is currently connected to a Micrlogix 1400 via the Channel 2 Ascii. When I pull the trigger on the scanner, I am not getting any information back at the PLC. I am not seeing an error code or DN on the ARL instruction.

I am not sure what to try since I have never done anything with a Barcode on a Micrologix before.

If there is a way to post a photo or something of the program, please let me know so that I can show you how my boss set up the program.

Thank you.
Old May 5th, 2017, 04:30 PM   #2
Racer5039
United States

From the help file in RSLogix 500 for the ARL
"Channel is the number of the RS-232 port (must be 0, except when using the MicroLogix 1500 LRP, then channel 1 may also be used.)"

Hope this helps you out.
Marv.
Old May 5th, 2017, 05:20 PM   #3
Firejo
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer5039 View Post
From the help file in RSLogix 500 for the ARL
"Channel is the number of the RS-232 port (must be 0, except when using the MicroLogix 1500 LRP, then channel 1 may also be used.)"
Actually the second serial port on a MicroLogix 1400 is channel 2. The main serial port is channel 0, the Ethernet port is channel 1 and the second serial port is channel 2 (and is compatible with ASCII).
Old May 5th, 2017, 05:34 PM   #4
OkiePC
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

I think you are going to need to condition your ARL instruction to ensure that data is present before you try to read it. It has been a few years since I did ASCII with Allen Bradley PLC. It seems I had to use the ABL command to check for the presence of data first. I also had to create a somewhat elaborate state engine to handle stepping through the read process and to deal with errors along the way as well as some timing to make things as reliable as possible.

Also, to post your program, zip the *.rss file and attach it to a reply (go advance, add attachments). Or take a screenshot and add it as an image. The forum does have restrictions of file sizes and image sizes.
Old May 5th, 2017, 07:52 PM   #5
Plastic
United States

Real Time Automation

No, I do not work for RTA, but instead of monkeying around with ASCII reads and writes, for a few dollars, you can purchase a hardware device that will send ASCII data from any device directly to a string in your Logix controller.

We are now using their USB to Ethernet devices to send these ASCII devices to our Logix PLCs.

RFID reads, bar code scanners, card swipe readers, all direct to PLC, no programming, the RTA writes directly to an empty string in the controller.

Very robust and deterministic
Old May 5th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #6
Racer5039
United States

I have used the RTA box as well. Worked very well.
Old February 6th, 2018, 11:20 AM   #7
burropardo
Mexico

im trying to do the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bateman87 View Post
Hello all. I am having one heck of a time and am hoping someone can point me in the correct direction.

I have a HoneyWell 1900G-HD2 barcode scanner that is currently connected to a Micrlogix 1400 via the Channel 2 Ascii. When I pull the trigger on the scanner, I am not getting any information back at the PLC. I am not seeing an error code or DN on the ARL instruction.

I am not sure what to try since I have never done anything with a Barcode on a Micrologix before.

If there is a way to post a photo or something of the program, please let me know so that I can show you how my boss set up the program.

Thank you.

do you have your programm to share with me? you did it ?
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum