You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 5th, 2018, 05:58 PM   #1
lesmar96
United States

allen bradley e1 plus

I have a customer that is running a grain auger of an AB motor starter. The overload is an Allen-Bradley E1 plus with a range of 5.4-27A. The motor FLA is 4.3 and the overload is set the whole way down. Well the issue is they keep burning up motors from overloading or stalling the auger. Why doesn't this overload trip out?

There is a "trip" pot that I could adjust, but I wasn't sure what that did?

Please advise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180122_191424465_iOS.jpg (46.2 KB, 56 views)
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:08 PM   #2
jaden
United States

By your numbers, the Overload's minimum is about 25% too high to adequately protect the motor. You need a different Overload. Augers may overload if at a steep angle and started with grain in them. Running them empty before stopping makes starting up much easier.
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:08 PM   #3
sbaum
Canada

Electonic overloads must be set to actual motor FLA (for typical motor SF. Check the overload documentation) so that overload is sized wrong.

But the real problem is the overload isn't even wired into the control circuit. The NC contact on 95 & 96 must interupt the coil.
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:12 PM   #4
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Here's the User Manual: Link

That little "trip" rotary device is a manual trip trigger.

The dial should be set for Full Load Amperes, as the trip setting is 120% of the dial setting.

With the dial turned down all the way, the trip setting is still 1.20 x 5.7 = 6.84 amperes.

Have you measured how many amps the motor pulls with a stalled rotor ?
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:14 PM   #5
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Quote:
But the real problem is the overload isn't even wired into the control circuit. The NC contact on 95 & 96 must interupt the coil.

Yeah, that will do it. Betcha it was removed because the auger kept tripping out.

Edit: It doesn't look to me like any of the overloads are wired correctly. Turning the manual trip device or pressing the Test button will prove right away whether they're wired correctly or not.

Last edited by Ken Roach; February 5th, 2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old February 5th, 2018, 06:22 PM   #6
sbaum
Canada

I bet it was never wired right. The picture is a bit dark but it looks like the overloads on either side don't have their overloads connecting either.
Old February 5th, 2018, 07:19 PM   #7
lesmar96
United States

Yes. you are right. I did not build this panel, I was called in for other reasons and I agree it is not wired right because none of the aux are wired into the appropriate control circuits.

Thanks for the manual, Ken Roach, I was not familiar with this overload was having a hard time sorting through all the documentation available.

All though it is not wired correctly, it shouldn't have made the motor burn out unless the overload is auto resetting?? and it kept automatically trying??
Old February 5th, 2018, 08:09 PM   #8
jaden
United States

The overload condition is a mechanical overload from the auger, but without the Overload properly sized and wired, the starter will not shut down to protect the motor.
Old February 5th, 2018, 08:37 PM   #9
jraef
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmar96 View Post
Yes. you are right. I did not build this panel, I was called in for other reasons and I agree it is not wired right because none of the aux are wired into the appropriate control circuits.

Thanks for the manual, Ken Roach, I was not familiar with this overload was having a hard time sorting through all the documentation available.

All though it is not wired correctly, it shouldn't have made the motor burn out unless the overload is auto resetting?? and it kept automatically trying??
If the aux contact is not wired to the contactor coil, how is the OL relay going to cause the motor to disconnect? It doesn't have any power contacts, it's just a "sensor" and the aux contacts drop out the coil of the contactor to stop current flowing to the motor. Without that, it could be tripping all day long and nothing else will happen.

Whomever built that system was a nincompoop...

And as was said earlier, even IF the contacts were wired in correctly, the OL relay is the wrong size for that motor, you cannot turn the dial down low enough to protect it.
Old February 5th, 2018, 11:16 PM   #10
jaden
United States

jraef, I think you mean Overload Contact (95,96) wired into the coil, not the aux.
Old February 6th, 2018, 08:15 AM   #11
lesmar96
United States

OK. This all makes sense to me. I was thinking this was a bimetallic relay that would actually disconnect the motor upon a trip condition, but I realize that is not the truth with this electronic one. I assume whoever built this panel did not realize what they were putting in.
Old February 6th, 2018, 08:39 AM   #12
jaden
United States

Bi-metal and Eutectic Alloy overloads also do not open the motor leads. They too have a NC contact that opens to de-energize the starter coil.
Old February 6th, 2018, 08:44 AM   #13
lesmar96
United States

Thanks for the clarification.
Old February 6th, 2018, 06:07 PM   #14
jaden
United States

You're welcome. I teach this stuff part time, so I have to be careful not to get too picky or go into excessive detail.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum