You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 5th, 2018, 09:58 PM   #16
Sydney
Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Roach View Post
Go ahead, ask me when International Standards Day is.
Ok...when LOL
Old February 5th, 2018, 10:08 PM   #17
jaden
United States

If a motor will be run only one direction, I prefer to make that a FWD VFD command, then I have the option of applying a Reverse Inhibit parameter.
Old February 5th, 2018, 11:53 PM   #18
janner_10
Supporting Member
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by daba View Post
"R, Y, B"
Showing your age!
Old February 6th, 2018, 08:28 AM   #19
DickDV
United States

I always try to set up a VFD/Motor system so "forward" on the machine is "forward" on the drive. While IEC and NEMA define forward on the motor, I have never paid any attention to it.

I'm more concerned that when the machine is running forward, the drive display reads forward and the control system is signaling forward. In the future, some service technician will appreciate having the system set up that way.

You do have to be careful with mechanical components as a rare few are designed to run better and lubricate better running one way over another. But, this is usually a mechanical design issue, not electrical.
Old February 6th, 2018, 10:47 AM   #20
jraef
United States

Many many moons ago, in the days of analog drives, some drives came with a dip switch on the board that “inverted” the output rotation. It allowed the person doing the setup to change rotation on the motor while still having the drive inputs and LEDs refer to Fwd and Rev, because really, it’s all relative. That concept seems to have disappeared.
Old February 6th, 2018, 11:26 AM   #21
Highland Controls
United States

Almost all the drives I work on have an "invert rotation" parameter.
Old February 6th, 2018, 01:17 PM   #22
Sydney
Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDV View Post
I always try to set up a VFD/Motor system so "forward" on the machine is "forward" on the drive. While IEC and NEMA define forward on the motor, I have never paid any attention to it.

Exactly...we only reversed our conveyors under emergency conditions and for only a few inches because all the equipment that was mechanically interlocked to other equipment on the production line. There would never be any question which direction the conveyor would run in the forward command.

Depending on the mounting of the motor our conveyors could have also supported the IEC & NEMA standards.
Old February 6th, 2018, 01:53 PM   #23
lesmar96
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
Exactly...we only reversed our conveyors under emergency conditions and for only a few inches because all the equipment that was mechanically interlocked to other equipment on the production line. There would never be any question which direction the conveyor would run in the forward command.

Depending on the mounting of the motor our conveyors could have also supported the IEC & NEMA standards.
agreed. this is how I am used to doing
Old February 6th, 2018, 09:42 PM   #24
g.mccormick
United States

I always try to make it so that the FWD drive rotation is "normal" direction. I don't want someone to see "REV" on the drive and assume things are running in reverse.
Old February 6th, 2018, 10:01 PM   #25
Ken Roach
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Quote:
Almost all the drives I work on have an "invert rotation" parameter.
I almost pulled my hair out looking for one on the PowerFlex 70EC.

But no, the direction is fixed:

A before B on the encoder = Forward = counterclockwise viewed from the tail end.
Old February 6th, 2018, 11:29 PM   #26
spaderkung
Sweden

Is it possible to wire correct during drawing? Swapping phases on 100's of motors would be nice to avoid. Is phase naming that standardised between different motors and brands of vfc?
Old February 7th, 2018, 04:44 AM   #27
Zimmer
Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bailey View Post
I'll connect the wires so as to make the motor turn in the direction I want it to go at the default direction parameter setting.
I always did the same and installed hundreds of drives, no issues.
A few weeks ago, I experienced a "strange one"
A standard 3 phase motor, with an Invertek Vsd. Connected up and switched ON, direction fine, all happy. Switched OFF and before I left, I switched ON again and could have sworn, it went in the opposite direction.
Switched ON/OFF about 50 times and on every start up, it would hesitate and then pick which ever direction it felt like. It usually went clockwise, but about 10% of the time it went anti clockwise.
I rang the Invertek rep. and he said, I had forgotten to do an "autotune".
I proceeded to do an "autotune" and perfect after that.
I was lucky that direction was not critical with that particular machine, but shows you can't bee too careful.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum