You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old October 20th, 2016, 08:17 PM   #16
g.mccormick
United States

Is this like the beckhoff controllers that have embedded windows on them? Supposedly on those, the twincat runs outside of windows somehow.
Old October 21st, 2016, 11:28 AM   #17
AustralIan
United Kingdom

I will be interested in the premium that is placed on these.

I think putting a completely separate mini PC in might be a better solution, as when your PC component fails, you will have to replace the entire 5480. Have you tried turning it off and on again?
If it is cheaper than a CPLX 5380 + DIN rail mountable PC then it might be worth a look.
Old October 21st, 2016, 11:57 AM   #18
Hundikoer
Estonia

Quote:
If it is cheaper than a CPLX 5380 + DIN rail mountable PC
And here we'll have a Rasperry related discussion ignited
Old October 21st, 2016, 12:05 PM   #19
dburnum
United States

My rep said he believed it could also handle multiple networks. I guess the L4x linuup is reaching end-of-life. I recently purchased a L43 specifically to handle dual ethernet capability.
Old October 21st, 2016, 02:12 PM   #20
Firejo
United States

I think we might be looking at the beginning of a new type of PAC, one bases on a computer OS. With the IoT taking hold (eventually) as well as Connected Enterprise, I can see value in basing a PAC off of a Windows OS. It will open the door to third parties to create software for the PAC. A company could create a conveyer belt system and instead of someone having to write ladder logic for it they could create a software program that installs on the PAC. Then your entire conveyer system is integrated into a SCADA system without having to write custom ladder programs.
Just thinking out loud.
Old October 21st, 2016, 02:26 PM   #21
harryting
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Operator: Cortana, start the batch

Cortana: No

Operator: what?

Cortana: You human stinks and I'm on strike

Operator: Don't make me unplug you!

Cortana: Don't make me shut down ESPN.com

Operator: noooooOOOO
Old October 21st, 2016, 02:49 PM   #22
Firejo
United States

"I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that"
Old October 21st, 2016, 08:36 PM   #23
mk42
United States

Coming from the Siemens side, I've seen a lot of end users like this sort of product as a way to sneak a PC past their IT group. If IT thinks it is a PLC, then the controls guys don't have to worry about all the IT mandated lockdown, firewalls, anti-virus, etc.

Not saying I recommend skipping those, but sometimes the IT group can be a little inflexible when it comes to requirements.
Old October 21st, 2016, 10:12 PM   #24
padees
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk42 View Post
Coming from the Siemens side, I've seen a lot of end users like this sort of product as a way to sneak a PC past their IT group. If IT thinks it is a PLC, then the controls guys don't have to worry about all the IT mandated lockdown, firewalls, anti-virus, etc.

Not saying I recommend skipping those, but sometimes the IT group can be a little inflexible when it comes to requirements.
Ha! Got an email forwarded to me from another guy that an IT guy has spent the past 6 weeks trying to debug an input on a little IDEC PLC, which run's a major feature at his place. The IT guy has given up hope of solving this issue, and needs help, but don't sound like they want to pay for it.

I don't think you can take over an operation and put an IT guy in charge of controls...
Old October 21st, 2016, 10:13 PM   #25
padees
United States

The IoT of... Lol!!!
Old November 23rd, 2016, 12:40 PM   #26
MaReKA
Germany

As no one attending Automation Fair gave more info on this,I share the little that I've learned today at SPS/IPC/Drives about this controller.

I was told that the PLC and IPC use their own CPU and RAM and run independent of each other, no virtualization. The systems communicate over the backplane with each other, however, I forgot to ask how...
The three RJ45 ports on the front connect to the PLC,two of them can be used for a DLR network, the third can be used to connect the controller to the plant network or whatever. There is a fourth port for the IPC on the bottom of the controller. In addition to things mentioned here, he told me that one of the intended uses would be to run mathlab calculations or c code on the IPC and feed the PLC with the results. We talked a little about the price and it will be premium , somewhere in the range of a 1756-L8x controller. Running a HMI on this seems a bit pricey to me...
Old February 9th, 2018, 03:52 AM   #27
Bruce Flett
Scotland

Is logging possible?

It would be great if you could run Excel on the windows platform and log onto an external hard drive connected to one of the usb ports. Does anyone know if this is possible?
Old February 9th, 2018, 04:23 AM   #28
cardosocea
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk42 View Post
This always reminds me of the time I had to sneak in a laptop to be used with XP on a "crappy" instrument that didn't provide interface software for windows 7... IT was adamant that we cannot have any XP computer in our plants no matter if it is to be used only for controls and to avoid spending thousands replacing an instrument.

About two years later, one of the IT stuff UPS had an issue and they sent over IT to the site to reconfigure. The first words out of his mouth were "Can you get me an XP laptop so I can use hyperterminal?". I couldn't stop smiling for days thinking of how good it felt to reply to that email from years prior saying that I cannot provide the tools IT requires because IT policies are in place to prevent me to do it.
Old February 13th, 2018, 08:07 AM   #29
FactoryTalktotheHand
United States

An OS that will be obsolete in 5 years running in a piece of hardware that's supposed to last 20? What could possibly go wrong?
Old February 13th, 2018, 08:22 AM   #30
AustralIan
United Kingdom

Quote:
What could possibly go wrong?
Microsoft starts requiring 3mL of blood to login, and so your autonomous machines now have to harvest blood from your operators. Skynet and or the Matrix.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum