You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 7th, 2018, 06:44 PM   #1
Zlinger
United States

Nema 4 bulkhead connector?

I have to pass some poly tube through the side of a control panel and maintain a Nema 4 rating. I have used bulkhead connectors many times before without having to worry about weatherproofing. It doesn't seem that any bulkhead connectors I have found are Nema 4. Anyone know of any? I have looked at Roxtec's stuff, but I am hoping to find a normal bulkhead connector with a gasket. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old February 7th, 2018, 07:01 PM   #2
rupej
United States

Does it need to be NEMA rated for UL or code reasons, or are you just trying to make sure that no water enters the enclosure?

If the latter, going through the bottom of the enclosure is pretty foolproof.
Old February 7th, 2018, 07:09 PM   #3
jraef
United States

Do a search for the term "CGB connector", it's an old designation for a cord connector with a rubber compression seal originally made by Crouse Hinds (who is now part of Cooper / Bussman, who is not part of Eaton...) Over the years, CGB became a common industry term and a search for it will link you to pretty much all of the major suppliers now.

The difference between this and a Roxtec seal is that with Roxtec, you can get one seal for multiple cables / tubes etc., with CGBs it's one connector for one cable/tube (for the most part). Roxtec seals are also fire stops and rated for marine bulkheads (meaning pressure tight), that's why they are so much more expensive. But if you don't need all of that, they are often budget busters.
Old February 7th, 2018, 07:19 PM   #4
geofftheelectrician
Lifetime Supporting Member
Canada

If jraef’s solution is something you would use, a current part number is a Thomas & Betts 2522 which has a 1/2” NPT thread and the rubber grommet with approx a 3/8” opening. If NEMA 4 is required, you can use a sealing ring T&B part 5302.
Old February 7th, 2018, 08:54 PM   #5
Cow
United States

I'd recommend a cord grip bushing like Jraef mentioned. You can add a sealing washer too if you need it.
Old February 9th, 2018, 03:58 PM   #6
Zlinger
United States

Thank you all for the great responses.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum