You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 12th, 2018, 09:09 PM   #46
dogleg43
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Jenkins View Post
Forget XIO and XIC. That is specificaly and only Allen Bradley nomenclature. Any other ladder logic I can think of uses NO and NC.

XIO is A-B speak for NC and XIC is NO.
My mind simply cannot grasp the XIO/XIC terminology. I just stick with NO and NC.
Old February 12th, 2018, 10:17 PM   #47
Bit_Bucket_07
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogleg43 View Post
My mind simply cannot grasp the XIO/XIC terminology. I just stick with NO and NC.
I learned to program PLCs with a handheld Boolean keypad, so I've always thought of the NO and NC relay contact symbols in RLL as "ANDs" or "AND NOTs" when in series and "ORs" or "OR NOTs" when in parallel.

I have no problem with the XIO/XIC nomenclature, but it is brand specific to AB.
Old February 13th, 2018, 06:31 AM   #48
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdoran View Post
I kind of disagree
Those were the good old days.... also saw a post asking about Terry Woods

I learned a lot from them both, mainly they made you think about even the dumbest things
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Old February 14th, 2018, 11:40 AM   #49
gas
United States

geniusintraining
I miss Ron. He would tell it bluntly like it was.
Back to the topic....view Ron Beaufort's videos, That should settle it.
Old February 14th, 2018, 11:50 AM   #50
dogleg43
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_Bucket_07 View Post
I learned to program PLCs with a handheld Boolean keypad, so I've always thought of the NO and NC relay contact symbols in RLL as "ANDs" or "AND NOTs" when in series and "ORs" or "OR NOTs" when in parallel.

I have no problem with the XIO/XIC nomenclature, but it is brand specific to AB.
Yes, me too. I forgot about using "AND" or "AND NOT". That is a very clear way of stating it. I'm tired.
Old February 14th, 2018, 11:53 AM   #51
harryting
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Whatever happened to Terry? I think he was the one who said he would fire people who spent time on the internet at work.
Old February 14th, 2018, 03:21 PM   #52
saultgeorge
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

For XIO's I've always used the term "true if off". Also the tag can always be thought of as using the word "not" in it, like a "Unit in Auto Mode" XIO could be Unit NOT in Auto Mode if the XIO is green.
Old February 14th, 2018, 06:13 PM   #53
daba
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogleg43 View Post
I don't know if this has already been said in this huge thread, but a potential problem with using NO and NC is when they are used with real, physical, PLC inputs.

A "NO" instruction could be inspecting the state of a "NC" field contact, and vice versa. This has huge potential for being confusing.

I believe that A-B, back in the original designs, were aware of that, and deliberately chose XIC and XIO over NO and NC to try to alleviate that potential confusion.
abtrain@tiscali.co.uk
www.abtrain.co.uk
tel: 07506 73 9999
nil illegitimi carborundem

Old February 14th, 2018, 07:30 PM   #54
dogleg43
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by daba View Post
I don't know if this has already been said in this huge thread, but a potential problem with using NO and NC is when they are used with real, physical, PLC inputs.

A "NO" instruction could be inspecting the state of a "NC" field contact, and vice versa. This has huge potential for being confusing.

I believe that A-B, back in the original designs, were aware of that, and deliberately chose XIC and XIO over NO and NC to try to alleviate that potential confusion.
I agree with you. Another side if this whole discussion is that the description should indicate what’s happening when it is on, like “Ram is Down” or “Motor is Running”. It drives me crazy when something is just described as “Transfer Limit Switch” or “Elevator Solenoid”. Don’t make someone guess.
Old February 14th, 2018, 07:34 PM   #55
dogleg43
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by daba View Post
..........I believe that A-B, back in the original designs, were aware of that, and deliberately chose XIC and XIO over NO and NC to try to alleviate that potential confusion.
Actually, I believe they originally called it “Examine On” and “Examine Off”. That made more sense to me than XIO and XIO. Different stroke for different folks.
Old February 15th, 2018, 07:06 AM   #56
geniusintraining
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas View Post
geniusintraining
I miss Ron. He would tell it bluntly like it was.
Yep he was big personality and liked sticky up for what he thought was right

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryting
Whatever happened to Terry? I think he was the one who said he would fire people who spent time on the internet at work.
I think he got fired and that was the last we heard of him

Just kidding, I did have a few conversations with him after he was 'gone' and he said just was getting tired of the 'same questions' over and over, his son got a acting job in a sci-fi movie and he was proud of that... boy he could get people to think

I remember once he talked about PLC code that could change its own code and rewrite itself needed... still would of loved to see that, that was the start of AI
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum