You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 15th, 2018, 01:45 PM   #1
jwill83
United States

SCL 5/04 to Wonderware (Ethernet) connection

Hoping someone can shed some light on this...

We have a customer that has a 5/04 processor talking DH+ to a Wonderware HMI, and they need a spare HMI. Our Wonderware rep told us that they stopped making the DH+ card, and the new HMI will be Ethernet.

My thoughts are I have 2 options:
1) Do the HMI and upgrade the SLC 5/04 to a 5/05. Pros - simple change of communication protocol in the InTouch config file for the new HMI; a simple PLC configuration change; I know how to do it... Cons - more costly; 5/05 processor and spare HMI will both sit on the shelf until the current one dies.

2) Get a DH+/Ethernet protocol converter (like the Prosoft AN-X2-AB-DHRIO) or do a DH+/Ethernet Gateway with a ControlLogix DHRIO & Ethernet card. Pros - costs less. Cons - Customer wants the HMI soon and I don't know how involved it'll be, and I've never done this before.

I've read through the ProSoft manual, but it still doesn't make sense on what I need to do with the HMI program (if anything besides updating the communication protocol) or creating the configuration file. We probably have 100+ addresses (B, I, and N in the SLC) being displayed / manipulated by the HMI. Would the config file need to basically list every address that is being seen/controlled by the HMI?

All documentation I've read for the CLX Gateway is from 1999 and requires a 1784-KTX Card.

Has anyone done something similar recently that can point me in the right direction?

Old February 15th, 2018, 01:53 PM   #2
geniusintraining
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United States

Its been a long time since I have done it but we have manuals that may help you... we sell a DH+ gateway see link below

https://www.plccable.com/ethernet-ip...r-ethernet-ip/

The ones I have done in the past used a 1756ENBT, DHRIO and CLX A4
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Old February 15th, 2018, 02:05 PM   #3
jwill83
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniusintraining View Post
Its been a long time since I have done it but we have manuals that may help you... we sell a DH+ gateway see link below

https://www.plccable.com/ethernet-ip...r-ethernet-ip/

The ones I have done in the past used a 1756ENBT, DHRIO and CLX A4
So that device would take the place of the 1756ENBT, 1756-DHRIO, & 1756-A4 chassis?
Old February 15th, 2018, 02:06 PM   #4
OkiePC
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Is the HMI within serial port distance of the SLC (~50 feet of wire)?
Old February 15th, 2018, 02:10 PM   #5
jwill83
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiePC View Post
Is the HMI within serial port distance of the SLC (~50 feet of wire)?
Yes, probably ~ 30-40'.
Old February 15th, 2018, 02:58 PM   #6
OkiePC
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwill83 View Post
Yes, probably ~ 30-40'.
If the speed limit of the serial connection won't harm your application, and channel 0 is free on the CPU, you could go that route. You do then want to ensure that you have a good quality serial connection in the Wonderware PC and that the right drivers are available to you. I am not very experienced with Wonderware but I suspect it should be pretty easy to redirect the tags to accommodate that change.
Old February 15th, 2018, 04:31 PM   #7
GaryS
United States

If they are not using the DH+ for anything else then then change the processor to a 5/05
or even better upgrade to a newer processor
Old February 16th, 2018, 05:46 AM   #8
geniusintraining
United States

Quote:
So that device would take the place of the 1756ENBT, 1756-DHRIO, & 1756-A4 chassis?
Correct its a Ethernet Gateway and will convert your DH+ to Ethernet

So is your Wonderware running on a PC or a fixed HMI? but I think I agree with GaryS if this is the only two nodes on the network you may be better just swapping the 5/04 to a 5/05 (we have them also if needed)

The only issue with Paul's suggestion I see is future access to the PLC for troubleshooting.... if you use the RS232 port you will need to use a U2DHP for connection
www.PLCCable.com PLC Communication Cables, PLC Trainers, Fluke Meters, MicroLogix, ControlLogix, Siemens, Allen Bradley and more... all your automation needs... ((NEW)) After Market 1784-U2DHP Allen Bradley USB to DH+ and Gateways
Old February 16th, 2018, 06:17 AM   #9
jwill83
United States

Quote:
Correct its a Ethernet Gateway and will convert your DH+ to Ethernet

So is your Wonderware running on a PC or a fixed HMI? but I think I agree with GaryS if this is the only two nodes on the network you may be better just swapping the 5/04 to a 5/05 (we have them also if needed)

The only issue with Paul's suggestion I see is future access to the PLC for troubleshooting.... if you use the RS232 port you will need to use a U2DHP for connection
The HMI is running on a PC...Compact series D InTouch panel PC.

Do I need to have RSLinx installed on the PC that runs the Wonderware software?

Sorry for all the questions...I need to understand it fully before presenting it to our customer.
Old February 16th, 2018, 06:30 AM   #10
geniusintraining
United States

Quote:
Do I need to have RSLinx installed on the PC that runs the Wonderware software?
Its been awhile since I use WW but from what I remember they have their own communication setup and RSLinx is just used for RSLogix, we did have RSLinx and Logix loaded on the PC that was running WW but this was for troubleshooting the PLC

Quote:
Sorry for all the questions...I need to understand it fully before presenting it to our customer.
Understood and thats what this site is for... you should see how many questions I have asked, just come back and help others when you can
Old February 16th, 2018, 07:34 AM   #11
jwill83
United States

Quote:
Its been awhile since I use WW but from what I remember they have their own communication setup and RSLinx is just used for RSLogix, we did have RSLinx and Logix loaded on the PC that was running WW but this was for troubleshooting the PLC

Understood and thats what this site is for... you should see how many questions I have asked, just come back and help others when you can
genius - just found the Wonderware ABCIP DAServer application note on the Automation Networks website. This clears it up for me! Thanks again for all the help!!
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum