You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 21st, 2018, 03:32 AM   #1
Combo
Lifetime Supporting Member
Belgium

TIA Portal online monitorring without offline project

Hi,

Did you guys know that you can see the program online without having it offline ? You can go via the menu -> Online -> Accesible nodes and then select the CPU and click on show. It will actually give you the program that is inside the CPU.

However, monitorring is not possible... I think u must do an upload before monitorring is possible ?

Kind regards,
Gerry
Old February 21st, 2018, 04:15 AM   #2
cardosocea
United Kingdom

In the old Simatic Step7, if you knew the address and slot where the processor was installed, you would upload the program first and then you could go online. Although no comments would be available which kinda defeated the purpose of monitoring online.

I know that at least on V11, uploading was a chore on TIA Portal, but haven't played with this on the latest versions. I also heard here somewhere that the upload will contain the comments (or potentially is an option of the programmer).
Old February 21st, 2018, 07:29 AM   #3
mk42
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardosocea View Post
In the old Simatic Step7, if you knew the address and slot where the processor was installed, you would upload the program first and then you could go online. Although no comments would be available which kinda defeated the purpose of monitoring online.

I know that at least on V11, uploading was a chore on TIA Portal, but haven't played with this on the latest versions. I also heard here somewhere that the upload will contain the comments (or potentially is an option of the programmer).
[Warning: much griping follows]

Unfortunately, uploading is still a pain. It's hypothetically possible, most of the time, unless it isn't.

In the cases where it does work, there are a few different ways it feels to me like you should be able to do it, but it isn't any of them, it's some other way that I can never remember. And I think you have to be offline to upload?

The big gotcha for me is safety. You can only upload safety projects starting at V14 SP1, and only if the option is enabled in the safety settings, and only for 1500s. If you DO enable the setting, it triples the size of the load memory of your project.
Old February 21st, 2018, 07:25 PM   #4
kalabdel
Canada

It definitely is convoluted and hard to remember. This is the instruction I always have to refer to when I plan on hardware or software upload.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 02:11 AM   #5
cardosocea
United Kingdom

Hmmm, I wonder if this works with the PLC Sim? I haven't quite used TIA Portal yet.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 07:45 AM   #6
mk42
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardosocea View Post
Hmmm, I wonder if this works with the PLC Sim? I haven't quite used TIA Portal yet.
I've never tried. I've never had a PLC sim setup where I didn't already have the project.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 09:47 AM   #7
cardosocea
United Kingdom

I mean, make a project. Download to PLC Sim. Close the project, try to retrieve it from PLCSim.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum