You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 21st, 2018, 05:50 PM   #1
ksmohammed
United States

Question Regarding Plant Pax Library

Good Evening,

I am curious to know, if its possible to use PlantPax graphics, face plates in Factory Talk View without utilizing its Add On Instructions (AOI) in the PLC program.
Old February 21st, 2018, 05:57 PM   #2
rupej
United States

Do you mean, can you use certain parts of the graphics and roll your own connections for them behind the scenes? I suppose so, but it would be a lot of work.

Otherwise, no, the graphics require the AOIs to function.
Old February 21st, 2018, 06:00 PM   #3
ksmohammed
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupej View Post
Do you mean, can you use certain parts of the graphics and roll your own connections for them behind the scenes? I suppose so, but it would be a lot of work.

Otherwise, no, the graphics require the AOIs to function.
Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, is it possible to use the graphics without using its AOI in the plc program. For example to show motor running on the graphics, is it possible to take a modbus register to indicate the motor is running?
Old February 21st, 2018, 06:19 PM   #4
rupej
United States

Technically, yes that would be possible. But it would be so complicated that you would be better off just copying the graphic and add a color change animation.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 02:40 PM   #5
Kidblue
Lifetime Supporting Member
England

Hi,

Yes. It may just be easier to use the AOI as it is though. In your example, you would just point the relevant ‘Running’ input condition of the AOI to your modbus address (the AOI only checks for a 1 or 0). The contactor feedback, motor tripped feedback inputs etc. can be turned off as necessary. The AOI can be configured as basic as you need it.
As already mentioned in previous replies, the faceplate graphics can be pretty complicated and cumbersome to work with, so it can be quite time consuming (some of the objects are grouped within groups of even more groups). I have modified several of the standard graphics to suit our applications, but it is not a 5 minute job (is possible, just quite fiddly).

Hope this helps.

Rob

.........For the Boys in Royal Blue !!
Old February 22nd, 2018, 03:02 PM   #6
ksmohammed
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidblue View Post
Hi,

Yes. It may just be easier to use the AOI as it is though. In your example, you would just point the relevant ‘Running’ input condition of the AOI to your modbus address (the AOI only checks for a 1 or 0). The contactor feedback, motor tripped feedback inputs etc. can be turned off as necessary. The AOI can be configured as basic as you need it.
As already mentioned in previous replies, the faceplate graphics can be pretty complicated and cumbersome to work with, so it can be quite time consuming (some of the objects are grouped within groups of even more groups). I have modified several of the standard graphics to suit our applications, but it is not a 5 minute job (is possible, just quite fiddly).

Hope this helps.

Rob
Thank you for the reply. I understand this job may not be as easily. I am asking this because of a project. Our company is only hired to do the HMI, the PLC programming has been already done. So there is no way we can implement AOI and utilize these graphics. My main objective is to utilize Plant Pax library with just modbuss address and not use their AOI.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 03:17 PM   #7
Kidblue
Lifetime Supporting Member
England

Hi,

In a nutshell, yes you can use the graphics as standalone objects. However, to strip out all of the (heavily grouped) layers of pre-tagged, and parametrised sub objects, you may find it easier to just make your own. Each of those graphics are made up of several sub groups that control several functions in the PLC and are driven by many more sub AOI groups (Mode/Alarm/Interlocks/Permissives etc.) so you will need to allow quite a lot of time debugging them.

Presumably your modbus signals will still need to be integrated within the PLC code (to ultimately drive the new graphics)?

Rob

.........For the Boys in Royal Blue !!
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum