You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 23rd, 2018, 08:39 AM   #1
merlin00724
United States

flex IE8 raw issue

I am having some issues with a 1794-IE8 flex module on a controllogix plc. this is measuring the weight of a tank on load cells. the scaling seems to be right with the module set for 4-20mA and the raw min/max is 0-30840, but with a measured 3.8mA from the transmitter I am getting a raw value of 40. which is showing the tank as not empty when it really is. we have about 12 tanks set up like this and they all behave the same, and have since being commissioned new. so I am not really going down the road of thinking I have an isolated hardware issue. if I simulate 3.7mA to the module then I finally get a 0 raw value.

any advice on how to tighten this up so that at 4 or 3.9mA I can get a 0 raw?
Old February 23rd, 2018, 11:16 AM   #2
Mickey
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

That is 0.1 of 1 %, pretty small error. What is the engineering units (span)?

Can the 4-20ma transmitter be adjusted(calibrated)? If not you could do this in the PLC.

If it is just a high zero issue you could program a zero cut-off. Any thing below value xxx will show zero. Common method as most transmitters drift a little.

If you want happiness for an hour-take a nap. If you want happiness for a day-go fishing. If you want happiness for a month-getmarried. If you want happiness for a year-inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime-help someone else.
----- Chinese Proverb
Old February 23rd, 2018, 01:01 PM   #3
merlin00724
United States

Thanks for the input. A cut-off might be the way to go
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum