You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old November 4th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #1
NortheyTech
United States

Convert RSLogix Project from V21 to V20

Someone here in the office inadvertently installed Logix Designer Studio 5000 V21 and the proceeded to create a new PLC program file. Everyone else in the company is using V20.

Is there any way to convert the V21 file to a V20 file?

We have tried to export to L5K then import back to V20 but this causes an error.
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #2
dmargineau
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

You will need both Studio 5000 Rev.21 and RSLogix 5000 Rev.20 installed on the same machine.
Open up the 21 file with Studio 5000 and then "Change Controller" choosing a Rev.20 one.
The sofware will automatically switch from Studio 5000 to RSLogix 5000.
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #3
NortheyTech
United States

We have 21 and 20 on the machine.

Change Controller dialog does not allow a change from 21 to 20. 20 does not appear in the drop down list.
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #4
Usireland
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheyTech View Post
We have 21 and 20 on the machine.

Change Controller dialog does not allow a change from 21 to 20. 20 does not appear in the drop down list.
A non elegant solution to this problem would be to export routine by routine and add them to a Version 20 project. Depending on how much has already been done this could take 5 minutes, 5 hours or 5 days, but that will allow you to go back to version 20.

Regards
Ian
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #5
NortheyTech
United States

We are in the process of dragging and dropping everything from the Studio5000 version to the RSLogix version. Painful with 50+ nodes in the I/O tree, but should only take an hour or two to get everything back into V20.

There doesn't seem to be any easier way!
Old November 4th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #6
dmargineau
United States

According to https://rockwellautomation.custhelp....3852/related/1
you should be able to L5K Export/Import between Rev.21 and Rev.20.
I have just L5K Exported the 21, then I have edited L5K changing the Import/Export version from 2.12 to 2.11 and the Controller Firmware revision from 21 to 20 in both occurences.
Upon completiion I have RSL5K opened up the edited L5K file which came up as a Rev 20 controller.
Old November 4th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #7
TConnolly
United States

You have to export to an L5K, then edit the version information in the L5K file, the re-import.

We just did this - not too painful. A lot less painful than drag/drop/copy/paste. Takes about five minutes.

That's the beauty of processors, they don't have emotions they just run code - The PLC Kid.
Old November 4th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #8
dmroeder
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmargineau View Post
I have just L5K Exported the 21, then I have edited L5K changing the Import/Export version from 2.12 to 2.11 and the Controller Firmware revision from 21 to 20 in both occurences.
Upon completiion I have RSL5K opened up the edited L5K file which came up as a Rev 20 controller.
You have to be careful with this method, there are unintended consequences on occasion. I don't think it handles more complex programs very well with things like Ethernet devices in the I/O tree and Produced/Consumed tags.

The other thing I ran into was when I converted a program from 19 to 17 using this method: The I/O bus of a L32E was corrupt. The V19 program I started with had the I/O bus inhibited, when I later tried to open the properties to Un-inhibit it, the window was corrupt and Logix5k would just crash. It was fixable from more modification of the L5K file, but it wasn't easy to find and I don't know what other problems could exist that we haven't stumbled upon.

We opt to do it the hard way just to be safe.

L5K convert.png
Old November 4th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #9
NortheyTech
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmargineau View Post
Great Tech note. Thank You!

After editing the L5K file the import worked great!
Old November 4th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #10
NortheyTech
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmroeder View Post
You have to be careful with this method, there are unintended consequences on occasion. I don't think it handles more complex programs very well with things like Ethernet devices in the I/O tree and Produced/Consumed tags.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Although I have not yet downloaded or gone online with the code, it seems like the I/O tree has been successfully converted.
Old January 29th, 2016, 09:37 AM   #11
dmbartender
Germany

Signed AOIs

Hello,

has anyone done this with signed AOIs? The L5K parsing is failing as soon as an AOI with a signature is encountered. The Problem is, I cannot delete all signatures, since some AOIs are protected.

Would be delighted for any help!

Tom
Old March 2nd, 2018, 12:17 PM   #12
votecoffee
United States

Import Steps

When you do the migration and create the L5K, you need to choose a processor that supports v20.
Then open Logix5000 (not studio 5000) and open the L5K. On the next window, in the bottom left corner, it lets you specify what version you want to import it as. Choose 20 and you're done.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum