You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old February 21st, 2018, 04:52 PM   #16
CaspianSage
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehpets View Post
Why do programmers get confused between Halloween and Christmas - OCT31 = DEC25

Steve
Goodness I say you are doing pretty well, I can't get past October 12 ;-)

---------------------------------------
1+1 = 3 and I never was good at math.
----------------------------------------
Old February 21st, 2018, 05:30 PM   #17
James Mcquade
United States

In my opinion,
We have now entered an area that is frowned on by the site owner.

if I am wrong, I apologize and please delete this post

james
Old February 21st, 2018, 08:01 PM   #18
Geospark
Lifetime Supporting Member
Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mcquade
In my opinion...
James,

You could be right there but aside from that...

Post #2 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiePC
My advice is to contact Rockwell with your serial numbers and get them converted to Factory Talk activations.
In my opinion, this is where the thread's advice level peaked, at the beginning. As the newer version of RSLogix 500 now requires FactoryTalk Activation, there should be no need to get bogged down here in all this EVRSI stuff. If you contact Rockwell with just the product serial number (& not also the Master Disk) and explain your case, then they should happily convert the license from EVRSI to a Node Locked FactoryTalk Activation license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianSage
...I hate dongles...
I've always found hating inanimate objects to be such a waste of one's emotional time. But then again, if I said that "I love Dongles", then that would make me somewhat of a hypocrite, or would it?

Regards,
George
Old March 6th, 2018, 10:11 AM   #19
EngDave
United States

So I just wanted to update everyone on my findings.

First off like others have mentioned if I'm saying something wrong please let me know. This is in no way hacking or doing anything wrong, but let's face it, in order to get legacy Rockwell software to work sometimes we have to think outside the box. With that said, and this is the truth, all software and keys I have, have been purchased by my company through Rockwell. So I am only using what's truly mine. Now that, that is out of the way...

So I have a Windows 10 VM that I got from MS. It's an Enterprise VM which is only good for 90 days but allows me to try software on Windows 10 with dying a million deaths on a physical box. So with Logix 500 or 5 at ver 7.x and below you can use the master disk. Having moved my purchased keys from a floppy to hd then to USB, I have made them portable. This isn't ground breaking news. What is ground breaking news to me is that and I can't believe I've never tried this before, I found out that just by having the USB key plugged in Logix 500 WILL see the keys and run just fine! So for Windows 10 just having a USB key with the master disk on it will allow legacy software to run!

So just to repeat that with reboots to verify, Logix 500 will work just fine with the USB plugged in. Now to go further since I hate anything sticking out of my machine, adding a second hard drive to the VM and moving the keys there does the same thing!!! Windows 10 with a small secondary hard drive with the keys installed on it works! And this is great news since our IT department will force us to use Windows 10 in the near future and our current version of Logix 5 is 5.20. That's not my choosing, that is what the company has provided me.

On a small side note I did do an evmovecf from my USB drive to the C drive on windows 10 and that DID work. I did a run as admin and it added the files just fine, did a few reboots to verify, and even moved them back without loosing anything. Granted this is an enterprise VM. However my company would use enterprise on a physical box so I believe this to be an apples to apples comparison.

It may take a week or so but if anyone is interested and no one is upset by this post, I'll try it on my Windows 10 Pro box and report back. I will also be trying this very soon on a Windows 10 Ent physical box just to verify there's no difference between VM and physical. Good learning experience though as this is the hand Rockwell has handed us.
Old March 6th, 2018, 11:43 AM   #20
Geospark
Ireland

Know the game to know the hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngDave
...I found out that just by having the USB key plugged in Logix 500 WILL see the keys and run just fine! So for Windows 10 just having a USB key with the master disk on it will allow legacy software to run!...
I'm glad you figured your way through this and not to burst your "look at me!" bubble...

31319 - Move Master Disk Activations with EVRSI and a Flash Drive
Access Level: Everyone

What you have figured out is perfectly legit and has been an available method of moving EVRSI Activations for years. But good on you for figuring it out all the same. Rockwell Activations can be irksome, to put it mildly.

Quote:
...Good learning experience though as this is the hand Rockwell has handed us.
I'd say they have dealt you a pretty good hand there, wouldn't you?

Regards,
George
Old March 6th, 2018, 12:09 PM   #21
EngDave
United States

Not all of us have time to sort through AB's knowledge base. If I have an issue I check Google first which 99% of the time takes me here where others like me have taken the time to figure out a working solution. So I apologize for the "look at me." I did this for myself and my team and figured I'd share these findings with everyone. I will keep future findings to myself. Thank you for the warm welcome.
Old March 6th, 2018, 01:18 PM   #22
Geospark
Ireland

Well that went South!...

Quote:
Not all of us have time to sort through AB's knowledge base. If I have an issue I check Google first which 99% of the time takes me here where others like me have taken the time to figure out a working solution. So I apologize for the "look at me." I did this for myself and my team and figured I'd share these findings with everyone. I will keep future findings to myself. Thank you for the warm welcome.
Hi EngDave,

You've misunderstood my intentions here but remember, I spent my time earlier to advise you and again here to update you and not to be smart. I've been around here for quite a bit now. I am one of those people you are referring to that spends the time searching, learning and sharing what I know with people like yourself and many others who end up here from Google searches and wherever else. Chances are you've Googled one of my many posts in the past. Give it a go? Give me a go and you'll see a very different side to me than you now think.

You are most welcome to the Forum and forgive me for not doing so earlier. I make a huge effort normally to spot a newcomer and welcome them, often when many other posters before me have not. You somehow slipped through my thorough grip here.

Forgive my way of putting things. It was not intended as a smart a$$ reply to put you down. I was impressed that you figured it out and complimented you as such. I wanted to reassure you, by providing useful and official Knowledgbase information, that what you had figured out and implemented was perfectly acceptable by Rockwell and, as a result, you can rest easy you are doing nothing wrong here.

By pointing this out, to assist you, it may also have lead to you feeling a little disapointed as you seemed so excited at having figured this out yourself. That's all I meant by "...and not to burst your "look at me!" bubble...". It was my way of conveying your apparent joy at your findings (lots of exclamations !) and how I didn't want to detract from your good work.

In other words, my update was a double-edged sword - potentially putting you at ease of no wrong doing, and also perhaps deflating your sense of achievement, which was the last thing I wanted to do, but I was sensitive to it.

The card game reference was intended to point out to you that because you didn't know the option you had discovered already existed, you were perhaps prematurely putting Rockwell down (having handed you a bad hand?) without realizing that they actually had a long standing solution to your problem, which you not knowing would not really be their fault.

Hopefully that conveys my intentions a bit clearer?

Again, I'm glad you figured your way through this, and well done you!
(I hope your bubble is now inflated again - joke!)

Regards,
George
Old March 6th, 2018, 02:11 PM   #23
A_G
United States

At one of my old jobs, there were a lot of Master disk activations stored on floppy disks. We had some external USB floppy disk drives that worked pretty good so in theory we could use the floppies just fine. The main problem was, older floppies are "fragile" and can become unreadable easily. We ended up using this method to move activations to USB thumb drives as a precaution in case the original floppies failed.
Old March 6th, 2018, 03:43 PM   #24
Geospark
Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_G
...We ended up using this method to move activations to USB thumb drives as a precaution in case the original floppies failed.
That would be prudent advice for anyone still in a similar situation. We have several Master Disks still here from years ago but we would not rely on them. All converted now where possible.

I still have old floppies here with backup files for old Automata PLCs from the 80's. We replaced them all with SLCs some years ago but the files are still accessible on the disks. There are also redundant backup programs on EEPROMs here. I wouldn't like to be relying on them at this stage, although they can be solid for years.

Just another tidbit to add info here for the future. Rockwell also provide a repair service for Master Disk corruption (or user cockups)...

36168 - Reset Master Disk Activation
Access Level: Everyone

It can be used to restore the files on the original Master Disk.

G.
Old March 6th, 2018, 05:28 PM   #25
Aabeck
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngDave View Post
So just to repeat that with reboots to verify, Logix 500 will work just fine with the USB plugged in.

On a small side note I did do an evmovecf from my USB drive to the C drive on windows 10 and that DID work. I did a run as admin and it added the files just fine, did a few reboots to verify, and even moved them back without loosing anything.
RSLogix will see the activation file on a Windows 10 hard drive - if it is put there.

What I have done is remove the Win10 hard drive and connect it as an external drive to a XP or Win7 computer and EVMove the activation to the Win10 drive.

Then reinstall the drive & boot up WIn10. RSLogix will boot and see the license.
Old March 7th, 2018, 04:35 AM   #26
Geospark
Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aabeck
...What I have done is remove the Win10 hard drive and connect it as an external drive to a XP or Win7 computer and EVMove the activation to the Win10 drive.

Then reinstall the drive & boot up WIn10. RSLogix will boot and see the license.
That's all good and should work no problem as you've described. That would be done using the original EVMOVEW application. But you shouldn't really need to be removing hard disk drives to do this, which can expose users to other potential issues. We are usually very careful doing the likes of this but you just never know.

EVMOVE options...

The original method involved using EVMOVEW to transfer the Activation from the Master Disk in the floppy disk drive to the local hard disk drive. Then, once it was required to move the Activation to the hard disk drive on another machine, you would use EVMOVEW to first transfer the Activation back to the Master Disk and then again to transfer it to the hard disk drive on the other machine.

This was all fine for years as a 3.5 floppy disk drive was a de facto standard on workstation machines. As the floppy disk drive slowly began to disappear, users often now had no way to transfer Master Disk Activations to a hard disk drive on a machine without a floppy disk drive.

As a result of this, and the fact that other removable media such as CompactFlash were now readily available on modern machines; Rockwell released a newer version of the application, namely EVMOVECF. This version then supported the transfer of existing Activations on hard disk drives to CompactFlash cards so as to transfer to the hard disk drive on another machine that also had the now common CF drive. You use EVMOVECF to first transfer from the hard disk drive to the CF card and then you use EVMOVEW on the other machine to transfer from the CF card to the new hard disk drive, similar to how you would have from the Master Disk floppy.

Later, as USB removable media overlapped, and eventually took over from the likes of CF, the EVMOVECF application could still be used to achieve the same transfer using a USB flash drive instead of the CF drive.

Using EVMOVECF and a USB flash drive is the simplest way to transfer these older EVRSI Activations around on the latest machines, Windows 10 included. There really should be no need to remove hard disk drives to carry this transfer out.

Whether some of the older versions of Rockwell software that support EVRSI will work sufficiently under newer operating systems is another potential hurdle and is being discussed here on the Forum quite a bit in recent times.

Regards,
George
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum