ADS Error 1861, TwinCAT

AlfredoQuintero

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello:

I have a TwinCAT embedded PLC and for years I was able to access it through the AMS NetID. Recently updated Windows 10 and I was not able to communicate with the PLC from the TwinCAT engineering tool which is running on this Windows 10 workstation.

Somewhere in the web I read there are problems with some of the latest Windows 10 updates (which I install regularly), and the article suggested that Beckhoff would provide a fix, so I downloaded and installed TC31-Full-Setup.3.1.4024.10 but still get the same error (before that version I used TC31-Full-Setup.3.1.4024.4 for several months).o_O

I am sure the PLC is working OK because I do have one Windows 10 workstation which can actually communicate with this PLC. But the two workstations which I use the most can't.
Will be very grateful for some advice. Have a good day.

Try to add route with ip address noy hostname. Don't know if that is the issue, but i use always ip address.

I don't know your software, but one thought with windows 10 is firewall, I have had issues with win 10 firewall, shut down and worked for me then went back and did allow certain programs thru firewall in settings, just a thought.

I don't know your software, but one thought with windows 10 is firewall, I have had issues with win 10 firewall, shut down and worked for me then went back and did allow certain programs thru firewall in settings, just a thought.

Hello: Disabling the firewall does not do the trick.

2020-06-26 _AMS_Route.png

This is an old post but since I found the solution I wanted to post it here as this is likely to happen, so i hope it can be helpful. Beckhoff Japan provided this very useful advice and I was able to connect the TwinCAT engineering environment with the runtime TwinCAT in the PLC.

This ADS error occurs when the network route is physically disconnected or blocked by firewall.
Please check the physical network route and the firewall settings again.

For ADS connection, 48898/TCP and 48899/UDP are required the exception.
In addition, 8016/TCP is also necessary for secure ADS. It was supported since Build 4024.
https://infosys.beckhoff.com/content/1033/ipc_security/9007202678796043.html

Secure ADS can not establish connection with Build 4022 and lower.
*** END OF TECH SUPPORT REPLY***

I found that I needed to open ports in the the firewall settings on both the actual IPC and the Windows 10 workstation hosting the TwinCAT engineering tool. I hope this is useful to TwinCAT users.