USB to RS232 Convertor

bowang

I will order a Dell laptop (Insprion 8600) for programming a special power protection and control relay from SEL (a special PLC for electrical power industries), and may be used for programming PLC as well. SEL relays and PLCs need RS232, but the laptop will not have a RS232 port. My question: if the USB/RS232 convertor in the market will support the RS232 requirement on any controller, or it has a limitation somehow? Thank you in advance.

Bo

Bo,

Gennerally I stick to the older laptops with the real serial ports. In my expierance, I have never needed the fanciest laptop with lots of memory and a large HD to run basic busniess type software like MS Office, and all my PLC programming software reasonably well.

Ok so as I understand it most of the USB to serial converters seem work reasonably well. Since I understand that your using AD PLCs at least on one machine, I would suggest getting the adapter from AD, since they know it works for their equipment.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Communication_Products/Serial/USB-RS232

BTW how did the welder turn out???

Thank you Mike. I am mechanical/automation desinger. I use Autodesk Inventor 3D modelling software as well, on my desktop. So I like to have more CUP RAM and video Ram for my laptop, I may need to use Inventor on the laptop. Dell just told me that they removed the RS232 a about half year ago. I do have the one from AD, but never get chance to use that. I just hope it works for everything, including SEL relays, this is the main reason the company will buy the laptop to me.

The programming for welding project is done. The shop is happy with the logic when I did the dry run without firing the gun. They are still waiting for the cover and handle. I will let you know if it is complete. Thanks again.

Bo

I just got my USB to RS232 from AD (Gold X)and that was big mistake.
I treid it with OMRON CX programer.I have real RS232 port on my laptop and another PCIMCA card with another port.
The computer shut off and restart during the running and debuging the system all my changes erase and I have big nmass with my comment(it happened several times).Its big program with about 500I\O.
so you can imagen what happen.
It never happened with the other ports.which was busy with other equipment.
I tried to use it with my HMI (Exor)but it would not work.
my advice for you get real port, Dell still have it or try Compaq NC6000/8000.
or get PCIMCA converter.
Before that check if your software work with virtual port.some of them work only with Com 1.
Foe example AB cannot run PIC driver on virtual com only with Com1 or their USB converter.

A very good information. I released the order already. Maybe I should call them and hold it. Now looking another laptop. I have to stay with Dell becasue our company has a deal with them somthing like that. Thanks again.

Those who can still use older laptops can consider themself lucky since lot's of new software titles even in automation is getting power hungry. It's because of the .NET / Java and whatever junk they come up with making your machine run both server and client software. Yes they might RUN on say cheesy old 1-1.6GHz celeron with 256Mb RAM but this will be painfully slow. Same machine could be perfect for running older titles tough...