Allen Bradley compile problem

bigbuckaroo

I have an existing system that consists of a 1747-L532E OS302 Series C FRN 10 and later processor. I have done numerous online edits in the past but have encountered an issue that I can't figure out. I am trying to add a simple rung to move N7:16 to F8:0. When I hit the accept edits button I get an error message "Program could not be compiled. Instruction not valid for processor". Does my processor support floating point numbers? There is no instance of them in the current project but I would like to do some math/averaging of a process. Any help is greatly appereciated.

Yes that processor supports floating point data files.

What instruction are you trying to use?

Save the file with the edits and post it here if you can. Zip it first.

You can see here that such a MOVE can be done in a SLC 5/03 PLC.

Oh, I see: you are trying to do an online edit. You can only do that if all edited addresses already exist in the online PLC memory. You will have to add new addresses in the offline mode.

If you must make a change online, then you will have to find an existing F8 address that can be made spare to reuse for your new floating-point number.

Online Editing Restrictions
During an online editing session you cannot:
resize data table files
create or delete program files
change program file protection
change index across file boundaries flag
reconfigure the I/O
select Force protection
RSLogix 500 - Copyright Rockwell Software

MOVE INTEGER TO FLOATING POINT IN SLC 5-03 PLC.jpg

Last edited:
F8 file does exist as well as the N7 file. By the way even if I try to do this offline it will not allow me to verify the project as I get the error pointing to the rung I just created. I am trying to post the program.

You must ZIP it first (or you can rename the RSS file to a ZIP file, then tell us that you did that, so we can rename it after downloading).

Are you sure that your actual PLC processor is a OS302 version? Note that if actually a OS300 model has been installed, then there are no F8 numbers allowed.

MOVE TO FLOATING POINT IN SLC 5-03 OS300 NOT ALLOW4ED.jpg

Last edited:
Click "Quick Reply",
then click "Go Advanced",
then at bottom of screen, click on "Attach Files".
"Browse" to the file on your computer,
then click "Upload", wait until it shows Files Uploaded,
then close the File Upload window and "Submit Reply"

PS: I am betting on your actual processor being a OS300 instead of an OS302. That will cause the error message that you received.

Last edited:
Did everything up to click ATTACH FILES then it did not do anything. Did not bring up option to browse to file location on my computer. Not sure what is going on. Regardless, the OS302 was taken right from the Controller Properities. If this information would be wrong, would I still have been able to make other online edits or even offline and download to the PLC as I have done in the past?

Did everything up to click ATTACH FILES then it did not do anything. Did not bring up option to browse to file location on my computer.
The "Browse" is on a separate pop-up window. If your Internet browser settings have pop-ups "Disabled", then you will not see the pop-up window. You may have to change some other browser Security settings. "Medium-high" works on Internet Explorer.

Anyway, check your connected PLC processor. If it is actually an OS300, then you cannot use F8:0. Even if your processor is OS301 or OS302, but you accidently selected OS300 in the IO Configuration, then you still get the compile error message about "invalid file type".

If this information would be wrong, would I still have been able to make other online edits or even offline and download to the PLC as I have done in the past?
Yes, as I showed in my previous post, you can tell the software that you have an OS300, even though you have your computer connected online to an OS302.

Last edited:
Well, I have done everything I can to try and attach the file. Not working. When you say check your connected processor, do you mean the controller properties while onlilne? If so that is what I provided. OS302. If you want me to phiysically look at the processor than that will be more of an issue since the control cabinet is currently buried behind other equipment. I have not accidently selected OS300 in the IO configuration as it states OS302. As I get time I will try to get the file attached. Thanks for the advice.

PLCS sometimes get swapped out after a failure, for a different version of the same model. Is this the same PLC all the time, or has it been swapped? Are there other SLC5/03 PLCs (that may be OS300 version) in the plant running the same program?

This is the only PLC running this program and it has been in service since I have been here, about six years. I have made numerous online edits and downloaded offline changes as well over the last couple of years all without changing the processor type in the IO configuration or Controller Propertites. I sincerly appereciate your help. While not a PLC neewbe, I do not have great in depth knowledge yet as some who frequent this site.

Program could not be compiled. Instruction not valid for processor
The message I got for an OS300 with a MOV N7:16 to F8:0 was "Error! Invalid File Type for processor".

I do not know right away what would cause an "invalid instruction" error. MOV is listed as a valid instruction for all SLC and MircoLogix processor. Now, if you use Indirect Addressing in your MOV, that would make MOV an invalid instruction for SLC 5/03 versions OS300 and OS301.

Check the address format in both your MOV instruction Source and Destination.

On the other hand, if your error message read: "Error! Invalid Data Type!", then you may have used an MVM (Masked Move) instruction. The error in this case would mean that you used a Source and/or Destination data type other than Binary or Integer (such as F8:0), which is not allowed for an MVM, unlike the plain old MOV.

Last edited:
I am not using indirect addressing. I went and tried again. After placing the MOV instruction on the newly inserted rung, I clicked and dragged an N7:14 address from the rung above and put it in the source. Next I opened the F8 data file, clicked and dragged on the F8:0 address and put that in the destination. When I click on the Accept Rung Edits I then get the error and get taken offline. If I start offline, create the rung as in above the error then comes up when I click the Verify Project as I do not see an option for Accept Rung Edits when offline.
The error is definately as stated: Program could not be compiled. Instruction not valid for processor