Wonderware System Management Console - can't start

Sergihno

Hello!

I have next problem.

I have done some changes to Historian -> IDAS, added some tags. Then committed changes and then decided to restart SMC. I couldn't do it.

I have the next warning when it is started: "MMC can't open file C:\Program Files (x86)\Common files\Archestra\SMC.msc. Probably file is missed, or is not a part of console MMC, or was created by more late version of MMC. There is likely absent rights to access this file".

I found some information in the Internet with the next actions:

1) Run mmc.exe (on 64 bit node use mmc.exe /32 )
2) Select [ Add/Remove Snap-in ] from the File menu
3) Select the 'ArchestrA System Management Console' from the Available Snap-ins and click Add
4) Under the 'Select snap-ins', highlight the 'ArchestrA System Management Console' and click on 'Edit Extensions'
5) In the 'Extensions for Component Services' window, select 'Enable only selected extensions'
6) In the MMC menu, select File \ Options
7) Change the icon by linking it to 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArchestrA\aaSMC.dll'
8) Select [ File \ Save As] and save the file back to where SMC.msc is stored. It will be under 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArchestrA'

But I don't have point 3 in Snap-in MMC. 'ArchestrA System Management Console' is absent there.

Would anyone tell what way to start it again, please???

Just in case anyone has similar problems in future, this worked for me. I found a note from InSource Solutions ''045121 - After doing a new install, the SMC will not start''

''This is caused when the SQL Express is installed manually. The SMC tries to connect to SQL because it sees it is installed, but fails because of some configuration mistakes. In particular this occurs when the Network Protocols in SQL have not been enabled. To fix this, go to start > Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2008 > Configuration Tools > SQL Server Configuration Manager. In here, under Network Protocols, enable all of the protocols. Then go to Services, and restart SQL Server. Once completed, the SMC started correctly.''
🍺

Just in case anyone has similar problems in future, this worked for me. I found a note from InSource Solutions ''045121 - After doing a new install, the SMC will not start''

''This is caused when the SQL Express is installed manually. The SMC tries to connect to SQL because it sees it is installed, but fails because of some configuration mistakes. In particular this occurs when the Network Protocols in SQL have not been enabled. To fix this, go to start > Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2008 > Configuration Tools > SQL Server Configuration Manager. In here, under Network Protocols, enable all of the protocols. Then go to Services, and restart SQL Server. Once completed, the SMC started correctly.''
🍺

This worked for me.
Thank you very much