Wireless pushbutton station?

RonJohn

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've just been asked if there's such a thing as a wireless pushbutton station that an operator could essentially carry around in his pocket while working around the room where the line is running. Basically, this would be a two button setup where they'd select bin A/bin B (no safety implications).

We have SLC 5/05 & Logix based processors in that room, so a 24VDC digital signal or Ethernet IP would be acceptable signal types. I'm guessing the station could be in use up to 30-40 feet away from the control panel.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Check out the Schneider Harmony XB5R.

The buttons are full size 22mm hole type push buttons so putting in a box it might be a little big to go into a pocket.

But certainly could be made portable.

Thanks for the quick response folks! We use Banner Q45 wireless photoeyes elsewhere in our facility - I had no idea they made buttons like that.

It's a good thing to have options. :D Guess we've got some reading to do.

Check crane control suppliers. There are several companies that make radio remote controls for overhead cranes. I have used Conductrix brand, but there are several others that make similar equipment.

Think it through though. What happens if a signal is lost?
The reminder is greatly appreciated.

FYI: There are hard wired buttons on either side of the line for performing the same selection. If signal from the remote is lost, they'll have to walk a bit like they do now. This remote is meant to save them legwork and prevent the line from stalling out while awaiting operator intervention.

When you say stalling out, what exactly do you mean?

At this point, I recommend that you have a risk assessment done in regards to your wireless pushbuttons.

what happens when a start button is seen by the plc and then communications is lost? the plc sees and continues to see the start button??
is there protection to keep people out of the system when you are using the pb station and are 50 yards from the area?

james

When you say stalling out, what exactly do you mean?

At this point, I recommend that you have a risk assessment done in regards to your wireless pushbuttons.

what happens when a start button is seen by the plc and then communications is lost? the plc sees and continues to see the start button??
is there protection to keep people out of the system when you are using the pb station and are 50 yards from the area?

james
James, thanks for bringing up this valid concern. I may have gotten a little too cute with my wording. Sorry for any confusion caused.

By "stalling", I mean that the line has certain conditions where it pauses product discharge until the operator chooses whether to send product to bin A or B. Years ago, there may have been an operator who sat near that button for hours on end but now they may be 50 feet away when the selection needs made. The remote pb's are intended to reduce this "pause" time where the already running line is accumulating product instead of discharging it.

There are light curtains surrounding the line, they can only be reset manually from a safe area outside the line. The operator will not have the ability to start anything with this remote device.

Last edited:
UPDATE: In the end, we purchased a 3-button MICRO system remote along with a charging pad from Kar-Tech.

We liked the fact that it was an off the shelf item. It's rugged yet roughly the size of a larger key fob. The range of the remote meets our needs. Thanks again for everyone's input.