Kinco MT4414TE with unidrive modbus rtu slave

Marinbnm

Hello, new here, so let's start :)

I am having some issues with kinco mt series hmi, mt4414te. Kinco and unidrive sp are connected via modbus rtu, and that works ok, i sometimes use unitronics v430 or similar and it works ok. With kinco i cannot get any reading, for example i trg to reed rpm parameter at 03.27 which has adress 326 but i just got 0. On connector pin 1 and pin 6 are A/B for modbus, even tried to switch but same. In menu i did setup kinco on com0 and modbus rtu slave from menu in kinco hmiware,since i do not have any nidec djevice to chose. Also i tried all settings etc but same. So either i need to configure modbus slave in hmiware somehow, or there is something with adresses. So if someone could point me on right direction. Thanks!

Do you have slave address set to 1?

CT RJ45:
Pin Function
1 120Ω Termination resistor
2 RX TX
3 Isolated 0V
4 +24V (100mA)
5 Isolated 0V
6 TX enable
7 RX\ TX\
8 RX\ TX\ (if termination resistors are required, link to pin 1)

I assume you got the baud rate and other setting correct if you have used the comms from another device successfully.

I did set up adress to 1, also tried other because i have five drives in network, and also tried with one only, but nothing. I am not clear with kinco adresses, it has lw, fw, rw etc.........and some other types depending which plc is chosen, it seems like i would need to creaye custom pc slave, other than just adding modbus rtu slave from menu list!?

Sorry, I have not worked with Kinco, but have wondered about them. Just have not tried them yet. They seem to be the cheapest HMI I've seen around here in the USA. For that reason, I have wanted to try them for the more cost-sensitive projects.

I have had success in the past with standard Modbus RTU and the CT drives. I've used 5-6 different masters... Some take more hair-pulling than others.

They are cheapest in EU too, and they offer much for that value. Specialy i like ethernet option where i can connect via vnc to it.

When you say “I just got 0”, does that mean thar you managed to send a request and you got a confirmed reply with data = 0? Or that the master starts at 0 and never sees a change?

What’s the interpretation of address 326 being 3.27?

Is the numeral 3 Modbus Function code 3 read input registers?

Or is 326 a zero based address with 3.27 its one-based interpretation? What are the syntax rules for dot insertion?

Is there a setting for 2 wire half duplex Rs-485 operation? (As opposed to 4 wire full duplex)

As you said, it says 0 and newer change, so it doesn't read anything at all i think.

On CT adress is represented by formula, so parameter like 3.27 adress is (3x100) +27-1, that part is ok since i working with other hmi and plc and i can read all parameters or write to them.

Also, com0 is set for 2 wire rs485 for ct inverter, just as is set when using other plc.

How do you determine whether you read input registers using Modbus Function code (FC)04 in the (3)xxxx address range or holding registers FC 03 in the (4)xxxx) address range?

That is problem i cannot figure out, when using other plc's i setup to read what i need as you mentioned. But kinco hmiware software just gives me something called adress type like lw, rw etc.......i also tried but no succes no mather do i read input registers, coils, holding register etc..

CT uses an addressing scheme of Menu#.Parameter#, so 3.27 is Menu 3. Parameter 27.

The Modbus address is 327 or 326, depending on the Master device's offset. Thus a Modbus address for the holding register would be 40327 or 40326.

For CT, it has standard and extended adress range, but that is all known
Last night i found manual for kinco hmiware software (as it was not available from kinco web) and found that 4x or 3x (depending on register) adress scheme.......

So will try out that when i get back home.

Here is short view from manual. But if function register is mapped to LW or LB, than when i chose between tham i actualy should get reading but just entering adress, 326 for example and chosing LW as adress type how kinco is calling it?

Last edited:
Just quick info is someone else get stuck on this, in kinco as for slave plc you should use modbus rtu, not bulodbus rtu slave.......even if you control slave, in configurator if you chose slave you will not br able to see adress listing (1X,2X,3X,4X). Also, is same for modbus tcp over ethernet.