Kinetix 6500 parameter storage

robertmee

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just curious....where are the parameters for a 6500, actually stored. Are they always in the PLC and sent to the drive on initialization? Are they stored in both the PLC and Kinetix and sync'd on initialization. I know at least the IP is resident in the 6500, but anything else? Since most of the info is provided in the axis configuration, I'm thinking it's all in the PLC.

I had another vendor try to tell my customer that the reason his program locks up on powerdown, is that AB told him the 6500's are losing their configuration and that the only way to recover is to download the PLC program after each power outage. I know that's a load of crock but I have to be politically sensitive. Pretty sure the vendor's program is getting virtual axis errors on brownout and they have no MASR/MAFR recovery anywhere in their code.

The only K6500 servo-drive resident parameter is the IAM Node Address; the eventually installed adjacent AMs increment the last octal of the IAM by '1' for each additional Axis Module.

All other configuration data is located within the CPU controller application and most of it is embedded in the servo-drive RSL5K/S5K AOP; a servo-drive is not a typical VFD which owns its application data.

The only K6500 servo-drive resident parameter is the IAM Node Address; the eventually installed adjacent AMs increment the last octal of the IAM by '1' for each additional Axis Module.

All other configuration data is located within the CPU controller application and most of it is embedded in the servo-drive RSL5K/S5K AOP; a servo-drive is not a typical VFD which owns its application data.

Thank you! Confirmed what I assumed, but honestly in the 6+ years I've been doing Kinetix, I never gave it much thought.

Since most of the info is provided in the axis configuration

Configuration information for a Kinetix CIP motion drive is stored both in the Axis configuration object (under the Axis Group) and in the Drive configuration object (in the IO Tree).

This bit me recently when I did a copy-paste in an L5K file; the internal shunt resistor control parameter is in the Drive configuration, not in the Axis configuration, and I inadvertently left it turned off.

What the other vendor is describing sounds like the Kinetix is going to (and remaining in) a "CONFIGURING" mode on powerup, where the Logix can't complete sending all the configuration information to it.

In my recent experience, this was because I hadn't set up the DLR ring correctly with my CompactLogix both as the time synch master and as the DLR supervisor. Once I got all the DLR devices properly configured and got a solid ring running, my drives would accept the configuration data every time I powered up.

Configuration information for a Kinetix CIP motion drive is stored both in the Axis configuration object (under the Axis Group) and in the Drive configuration object (in the IO Tree).

This bit me recently when I did a copy-paste in an L5K file; the internal shunt resistor control parameter is in the Drive configuration, not in the Axis configuration, and I inadvertently left it turned off.

What the other vendor is describing sounds like the Kinetix is going to (and remaining in) a "CONFIGURING" mode on powerup, where the Logix can't complete sending all the configuration information to it.

In my recent experience, this was because I hadn't set up the DLR ring correctly with my CompactLogix both as the time synch master and as the DLR supervisor. Once I got all the DLR devices properly configured and got a solid ring running, my drives would accept the configuration data every time I powered up.

Ken, thanks for the info...Yes, I'm quite familiar with the group sync for the motion group and the necessity of EVERY drive in the group being powered up and available in order for the Kinetix to complete configuration. I don't understand why AB limited us to one motion group, regardless of whether drives exist on multiple ENTR modules or not.

But back to the vendor problem, this Rack isn't on a ring. It's a single rack with 1 IAM, and 3 other drives and in a linear configuration. It's odd that the only way they can recover is to load the PLC program (from a previous running state). The plant engineer recalled that a bit was 'stuck' on but couldn't recall what. I took a quick look at the code, and there's a MDAC command for running a virtual axis master to the other four drives (cam profile). But nowhere in the code is there any fault reset or axis reset for that virtual axis. When questioned, the vendor says that it never faults out. So what I'm suspecting is that in a power out situation that command IS faulting (.ER) bit, and since there is no logic to clear it, they get "stuck".