Abbreviations

drbitboy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does this site have a common PLC/automation/industrial measurement abbreviations list? I didn't see anything in the FAQs.

Abbreviations are part of the jargon of any field, so they are an essential part of the learning curve for newbies like me. The nuclear power industry is the most intense I've seen, but I suspect there are others more so (e.g. military).

I found TConnolly's ISA chart here, but I am looking for summat more extensive e.g.
Code:
PMUL - Pulse MULtiplier; instruction; scales pulses to another unit 
       e.g. convert accumulated encoder pulses on a conveyor motor
       to conveyor distance*
RIO  - Remote Input/Output
RPI  - Request Packet Interval; how often an encoder sends (or updates?
       or is queried i.e. asked to send?) its current count to the upstream
       device (PLC?)
TLA  - Three-Letter Abbreviation;-)
XIO  - eXamine If Open; instruction; ...; alternates are N/C and NC*

* perhaps instructions should have their own table

I suppose it will depend on the manufacturer and the country so for example AB use XIC XIO others use NO NC or N/O or N/C others are pressure temperature level weight (kilo/pound) Inches/metres the list goes on
There are other complications like imperial gallon compared to American gallon, however, in a modern world should we not all use a standard like metric look what happened to the Hubble telescope?. As this site has probably more American members then old money seems to be the norm (excuse the pun referring to the change in UK to decimal coinage).
In the UK electrical systems tend to use the decimal system, however the mechanical side do not seem to want to budge from imperial.

... Hubble telescope [Mars Climate Orbiter?] ... decimal [metric?] system ... imperial.

I have no issues with units and can go from e.g. Bbl/d to m**3/h combining unit conversions from memory, but being unfamiliar with this AB RIO PB lingo slows me down a bit.

Not a lot (if any) of the engineers at NASA can claim that.

Heh, maybe, but any engineer worth their salt could put them together quickly.

Btw, all of the unit conversions in that chain are (well, were) exact in decimal form, which always cracked me up; the only uncommon ones are 42usgal/Bbl (not 55!?) and 231in**3/usgal

Don't forget NAF (Non Acronym Format, military).

Just put this one on a PanelView SP5R (Second Per 5 Rotations) for big can cooker barrels.

If the US had just gone Metric back in 1976 (I believe was the deadline) when we were supposed to... life would have been easier today.

The more I have to do Metric/SAE conversions, the more I like the metric system and regret voting for Jimmy Carter back then!

Can someone explain why we have both Grams and Newtons? One is weight and one is force, but last I checked, gravity is a force, so weight is force! I guess its similar to why we have square feet/yards/miles and ACRES... Lets rally to retire the old units and stick to the logical!

/rantoff

I agree we still have imperial here in Britain especially in mechanical 1" BSP? why not go completely metric.
Then they bring in names like pascal & newton.
The Egyptians and Babylonians, who first divided the day into smaller parts, used duodecimal base 12 and ***agesimal base 60 numeral systems, this was because if you look at the four fingers of your hand there are three segments on each finger i.e. 12. so now we are stuck with a 24 hour day, 60 minute hour. seems strange now that 1 second is 1000 ms (decimal?)
We have the Romans to thank for the leap year I believe because there are actually 365.2425 days per year. No wonder youngsters get confused (and us older people who are lossing brain cells lol).

I agree we still have imperial here in Britain especially in mechanical 1" BSP? why not go completely metric.
Then they bring in names like pascal & newton.
The Egyptians and Babylonians, who first divided the day into smaller parts, used duodecimal base 12 and ***agesimal base 60 numeral systems, this was because if you look at the four fingers of your hand there are three segments on each finger i.e. 12. so now we are stuck with a 24 hour day, 60 minute hour. seems strange now that 1 second is 1000 ms (decimal?)
We have the Romans to thank for the leap year I believe because there are actually 365.2425 days per year. No wonder youngsters get confused (and us older people who are lossing brain cells lol).

I always wondered if the 12 hour / 12 inch base was due to the early British Royals all having 6 fingers instead of the conventional 5 :D

I always wondered if the 12 hour / 12 inch base was due to the early British Royals all having 6 fingers instead of the conventional 5 :D

Since this thread has wandered so far from the OP, I will offer that there are some people who are serious about promoting the use of Base 12 (duodecimal).

This is their web site: The Dozenal Society of America

This is their mission statement:

The Dozenal Society of America
The DSA is a voluntary, nonprofit educational corporation, organized for the conduct of research and education of the public in the use of dozenal (also called duodecimal or base twelve) in calculations, mathematics, weights and measures, and other branches of pure and applied science.

They have some compelling reasoning, and of course, want some money to join the society.

Only in America lol "The Dozenal society"
As for the six fingers, that was written by Nicholas Sander but he never met her and wrote that long after her death to discredit Elisabeth's Reign. There goes my good memory for history :ROFLMAO: