Embedded EDS files in 1756-ENBT (a good feature !)

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I happened across a new feature today that I had heard a little about but had not experienced and wanted to share.

I have both v3 and v4 firmware 1756-ENBT modules in my lab rig, and un-registered the v4 EDS from my computer to prove to a customer that the module would still show up in an RSLinx browse, with the correct product name (because that's part of the Identity Object) and a yellow question mark.

That was two weeks ago. I forgot that I'd unregistered the v4 EDS and tried to connect to the system again today, and I was of course presented with a yellow question mark in RSWho.

I was pleased to see that RSLinx Classic 2.51 has a new "Upload EDS file from Device" function when I right-clicked on it in RSWho.

RSLinx automatically downloaded a .GZ compressed file from the module and launched the EDS Hardware Registration Tool. No reboot was necessary; the module appeared in the RSWho and I was able to go online through it.

A request for other members running RSLinx 2.50 or even 2.43; does your software have that "Upload EDS File From Device" feature when you right-click in RSWho ?

I guess this would only be for AB modules Ken. Omron have always been able to just communicate with Omron modules with the Device Net scanners without EDS files. You only require EDS files for other brands. I guess they have something like that built in but they have not offered the upload option - guess it was not required.

In fact, you can put a whole lot of Omron I/O modules on a Device Net scanner and they will revert to default I/O addresses in the PLC. No configurator required for a digital network.

I suppose it comes back to the same old situation where there are different implementations of the same technology by different manufacturers.

It is always good to see changes in implementation that make life easier for all of us along the way. I hope all the manufacturers do more things like this for us.

By the way, have you heard if AB are going to go the CompoNet route? I am using it now. Half the price, much faster update times, more complex networks, cheap repeaters. Looks a bit like a very much improved Device Net.

I recently upgraded a few ENBT's and discovered the same neat little feature.

I like it a lot.

I recently upgraded to Linx 2.51 too. I have never seen this feature until about a week ago after the Linx Upgrade.

I am a firm believer in keeping Linx up to date.

RSL