Problems opening RSLogix5000 v20.00.00

Dryhops

I have a machine that I cannot seem to upload the program from. It kept throwing a fatal error saying that there was an unspecified communications error. The machine is running correctly and hasn't been modified since I started working with it a few years ago.

Fortunately there was a copy of the program on a USB drive. Trying to open it with RSLogix5000 v20.01.00 produces a new error: 'The project file contains an object whose format cannot be converted to it's current version.

I then opened it with RSLogix compare tool which also failed, but at least told me that the version was 20.00 which isn't installed on my computer.

While I have a license which is valid for RSLogix versions <30, it seems rockwell specifically does not allow downloads of version 20.00.00 any more on their website. I understand there were problems between 20.00 and 20.03.

Is there a known solution to this versioning issue? I don't really want to update the firmware, but even if I did I can't open the file to make any adjustments.

Download the updated versions - 20.05 is the latest, 20.04 also worked.

They are compatible with both 20.01 and 20.03 versions that had some bugs.

It sound like the version used was 20.03 and 20.01 can't open it.

If you are using WIndows 10 after you install it go to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\ENU\v20\Bin/RS5000.EXE file properties and select Run In Compatibility Mode for Vista, and click Run As Administrator.

Thanks for the quick reply. I am downloading 20.05 now and will report back if it works.

I read in another thread that 20.05 resolved some shenanigans with 20.01 and 20.03. Is 20.05 the 'correct' version to use for any v20 .ACDs? In other words, can I uninstall 20.03? Other than this machine, we only have 3 firmware versions used in our facility, so I'd like to uninstall any versions that are redundant.

This article does quite a good job of explaining what is the most likely cause of your headache. And in this thread, Ken Roach sums up my feeling on the issue quite neatly in post #7.

TL;DR, download v20.04 or v20.05 (ideally the latter) and your problem will most likely resolve itself. These versions are available for download on the RA website (provided you have a valid serial number/product key and are within the support period).

Thanks for the quick reply. I am downloading 20.05 now and will report back if it works.

I read in another thread that 20.05 resolved some shenanigans with 20.01 and 20.03. Is 20.05 the 'correct' version to use for any v20 .ACDs? In other words, can I uninstall 20.03? Other than this machine, we only have 3 firmware versions used in our facility, so I'd like to uninstall any versions that are redundant.

Hit post before I saw your reply...

Yes, 20.05 is the "most correct" version to use. It will overwrite v20.03 when you install it - you can only have one copy of each major revision installed at any given time. i.e. you can have v20.05, 21.03, 23.xx, 24.xx, 26.xx all installed together, but not 20.04 and 20.05. The newer minor revision will overwrite the older.

ASF said:
...you can only have one copy of each major revision installed at any given time. i.e. you can have v20.05, 21.03, 23.xx, 24.xx, 26.xx all installed together...

You mean v21.00?...not v21.03! May it burn in the pits of Hell and be eternally erased from mind and memory!

I think Rockwell should have released those resiliency versions inside one of these...
him_holding_cube_1200x1200.jpg

I'm sure some felt it was?...

G.

Thanks for the help guys - 20.05 seems to have solved my problems. Somehow I missed the fact that minor revisions don't have to match.

Just my luck that all the machines in my facility happen to use the problematic program versions. One day I'll have to move them to a newer version.

This helps make it all "so" much clearer...

720913 - RSLogix 5000 v.20.04, v 20.05 Compatibility Information
Access Level: Everyone

:oops: