Advice. Multiple versions of RS 5000

Running multiple instances of RSLogix5000 and Studio5000 has never been an issue for me. It is just the install time that grinds me down.

Doing so allows me to copy/paste just about anything between project files at different versions, you just need to have them open in multiple windows.

Now of course if you run them in VMs, you are going to have to allow copy/paste between VMs, something that I don't think is default

I have resisted the use of VMs, because basically, in my opinion, it is a kludge that the OS should be doing, but Microsoft were happy to proceed without giving much in the way of legacy support. Perhaps it's their way of guaranteeing their future sales.

And can someone please explain why, after installing Windows in under an hour, I have to do "Windows Update" multiple times until there are no more ? This can take 10 times longer than installing Windows in the first place....

Why can't they offer a single installer that does everything in one shot ? Apple can do it, you can upgrade a MAC or an iPad or iPhone in one hit, so why can't Microsoft do it ?

I have a client running versions 15,17,19,20 and 24 on a Windows 10 machine at their plant, but I didn't install the software. Their corporate IT department set it up for them.

My laptops run 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 24, 30, and 32.

Lots of later revisions missed, I know, but revisions installed as per needs.

I perhaps don't need 10 to 13 anymore, but my PC build includes them anyway, on the basis that if I needed to install V13, for example, it's going to screw up the later revisions. I know it shouldn't, but "should not" is no guarantee.

As been noted in some recent thread. V19 is problematic on Windows 10 and also with Studio 5000. It works for some (me) but others (my coworker).

We are an end user but if you are an integrator and have no choice but to have all those versions available then use VM.

View versions installed.

Is there a way to see the versions that are installed, I am getting refirb equipment and has different Versions, and not sure what versions I have installed. Thanks in advance for any help.

Is there a way to see the versions that are installed, I am getting refirb equipment and has different Versions, and not sure what versions I have installed. Thanks in advance for any help.

In studio 5000 go to Help, About Logix Designer, More Info and it should list all installed versions.
Logix 5000 is similar but I don't believe you have to hit the More Info.

You can also go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\RSLogix 5000\ENU

and
C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Software\Studio 5000\Logix Designer\ENU

to find out what versions you have available.

Franc Jr

I have one VM with versions 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 of RSLogix5000 installed, plus versions 21, 23, 24, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 and 32 of Studio5000.

All are in VM workstation 14pro, Windows 7.
So far just little issues with RSL5k v16.04 and thing else.

no:teacher:

I have 10 - 32 installed on a VM
on a new project you do need to select the version you want to use based on the PLC you want to use.
if you are working on older version programs just select the program and the correct version software will open provided it's installed on your computer
One thing you should do is install the older versions before the later if you don't sometimes it will not install the older version correctly
I doit this way so I don't have to be concerned about the version when I connect to an unknown system it just loads the correct software

Personally I have had no luck installing multiple versions of RSL5000.

The last installed version was always the only one that opened.

I would suggest a VMWare virtual machine and install one version in that. Also, ver 20.01 has been updated to ver 20.04 that took care of some fixes needed - and 20.04 will open all other 20.xx projects.

What? The versions are installed as modules, when you create a project, you can select any versions you installed. You cannot down grade a version after it is created I think.

I'll second this....

I have versions 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 of RSLogix5000 installed, plus versions 21 and 24 of Studio5000.

And these are not on a VM either, just base Windows 7 - perhaps that's a future project, but not had any issues so far, fingers crossed.

You can do it on a VM too.