iFix 5.8 Button not Writing to SCADA Database from Secondary node or View Nodes.

CanIPLCit

I have a client that has iFix 5.8 installed with a Primary and secondary node.

They have two terminal servers that they use for their thin clients. They were experiencing an issue where two buttons on a particular screen had a closedigitalpoint routine and when they would press those buttons on the secondary or terminal server nodes the tag associated with the command wouldn't update in the database, therefore never getting to the PLC. But the button would work on the Primary node. A restart of the primary and secondary node fixed the problem, but it has the potential to become more serious if this happens with other buttons so I'm trying to figure it out before it happens again.

Some background info:

The tags are DR tags, but other buttons linked to DR tags were working on the screen.

We tried creating a datalink on the secondary screen to reference the specific tag, hoping to see if the problem was associated with the tag being off scan somehow on the secondary nodes.

Let me know if there are any questions.

Thanks for any help in advance.

that's weird. I don't have a lot to offer except maybe suggest a few things to try.

- Change DR to DA or DI. I never use DR myself because my understanding is DR only get "refreshed" if the screen is active.

- If you stay with DR, create a "watchdog" like PLC clock or something and see if they updated.

ETA:

See here: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=58600&postcount=5

I think best practice is not use DR for writing to PLC>

Last edited:
When you say primary and secondary... are the primary and secondary servers in a "redundant" configuration? If they are, changes made to the secondary don't get passed back to the primary so if 2 clients are connected to different servers, which is completely possible in Maintenance mode, are issuing opposing commands the result is unpredictable.

Not a fan of DR blocks either.

Is the secondary a client that only uses the master database, this configuration does not have it's own just the IFIX application and uses the database of the master, it could be loss of connection between the client & master DB.