best program to design the circuit diagrams

ford50killa

Hello,

I have been a electrical/PLC tech for about 10 years. I am now looking into get into design instead of just troubleshooting. I am wondering what software do you all recommend? I have no experience using computer programs to draw a panel layout. I can do it with paper but I have never used software for this. My father had used AutoCAD for years to draw pipe diagrams at an alcohol refinery. If I want to become a controls engineer, I'll need to be able to design logic as well as the panel layout. Can you all possibly give me some ideas of what types of software and online classes I should look into?

I have experience using Siemens and Automation Direct processors. I am now about to finish my online classes for Allen Bradley RS Logixs. Then I just need to finish the SCADA systems too. I am just looking for some input on the user friendly programs to draw the panel layouts. I have heard there is a few that cater to the electrical/automation field but, I don't know what they are. I'd like to have a lot of knowledge so I can use possibly a few different types of PLC manufactures. This way I can give a client a few different ideas. That is my logic of thinking. What are your ideas about this?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Since its the Education version, its free for 3 years correct? PS, I like the car. Im a mopar guy and my coworker has a real Hellcat. We use to make stupid amounts of money working offshore. I spent all mine on bikes and education. :)

The link is for a free version, I think it maybe a little limited but should be fine to learn on, I have the full pro 3d version WAY to much of a over kill for me

Thank you, yep its a Hellcat also (with mods) so its stupid fast :)

I have been pretty happy with NanoCAD Plus. If you want to learn Autocad commands and layout, this one is an AutoCAD clone. If you know nothing about AutoCAD, it might be a little frustrating, and some good AutoCAD training is worthwhile.

https://nanocad.com/

I would have used AutoCAD Lite, but it is too expensive for the amount of drawings we make and ACADE (AutoCAD Electrical version) is very very expensive and would make me go back to school to really learn how to use all of its power.

I dabbled with a solidworks demo about 10 years ago, but already had enough AutoCAD experience that I wasn't very productive with it, although many folks like it or EPlan better than AutoCAD for electrical stuff.

How does that work? Is it a 15 page per project/file limit, or does the software actually stop working after 15 pages?

The software will not let you add another page after 15 pages on each file/project. The software keeps on working but with 15 or less pages per project.