Suggestions for data logging power quality analyzer?

defcon.klaxon

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

Client had some power quality issues and we suggested putting a power quality analyzer on the line; PG&E did for three days, said it looked fine but they have no long term analyzer solution. We're looking to put our own on that can log data for weeks if not months. I'm searching around now, but wondered if anyone here has any experience with such things. Location is a very remote site with no internet, so all data storage would have to be local.

Correction, mine is a 435II and depending on sample rate it will record for year or "MAX" which I would guess depends on how big the SD card is. We typically use it for a week at a time.

Gotta say though that the software (PowerLog) is really SLOW.

Correction, mine is a 435II and depending on sample rate it will record for year or "MAX"

That's what I'm having trouble figuring out; I understand you can set your sample rate, but what if you're looking for transient issues that might fly under the radar of even one minute intervals? Is there a way to simultaneously log cyclic data, and be on the lookout for transients as well?

which I would guess depends on how big the SD card is.

That's also what I'm trying to figure out. Definitely don't want to let it run too long and either stop capturing data, or overwriting the oldest.

Gotta say though that the software (PowerLog) is really SLOW.

Good to know, thanks!

It does that. if your sample rate is one minute, it monitors the signal for that one minute then logs the High, Low, Avg and any "Events" that you have it looking for. Sags, transients, spikes etc. and logs those too. If you sample rate is 30 seconds, same drill.

You could miss multiple transients or highs or maybe even events if you have more than one of these during the sampling period, which is why there are sample rate choices. How often does the event happen determine how often you need to look for it.

The 438 will give you some insight into VFD and motor conditions too, or so they say, I have no experience with it.

Ask the rep for a demo for a week, they are usually good about that.

Siemens has some nifty devices to do that with local memory storage. I haven't used one myself, but have looked into it and should be getting my hands on a couple next year.

It does that. if your sample rate is one minute, it monitors the signal for that one minute then logs the High, Low, Avg and any "Events" that you have it looking for. Sags, transients, spikes etc. and logs those too. If you sample rate is 30 seconds, same drill.

You could miss multiple transients or highs or maybe even events if you have more than one of these during the sampling period, which is why there are sample rate choices. How often does the event happen determine how often you need to look for it.

The 438 will give you some insight into VFD and motor conditions too, or so they say, I have no experience with it.

Ask the rep for a demo for a week, they are usually good about that.

Awesome, thanks for all the info!

I have used the 435. Most of the time it would end up maxing out at about 7 days since I was recording a few items. Depending on the amount of data recorded will depend how long the memory lasts. We never had a memory card. All on the meter.
Powerlog was ok for me, but haven't had much experience with any others.