1734-aent connection problem

S71h

Hi guys, asking for some help. I'm trying to replace a 1734-aent that had a unrecoverable fault. Received a new unit and installed it. Now I am getting no I/O connection. On the installation instructions it reads "node fault(I/O connection timeout)" what node had faulted? Thanks agsin

So, you're getting a flashing red POINTbus LED?

Have you set the number of modules present in the chassis? This can be done either by browsing to the device's IP address or by RSLogix software.

Last edited:
Yes it was previously set to 002 and I set it the same way.
Yes I'm getting a flashing red on the PointBus Status. Can I do this in the SoftLogix5800? Or in RSLinx?

I assume you've used BOOTP to set the new module with the old IP address and then disabled BOOTP?

1734 question

Trying to set the chassis size for the PointBus module in the 1734-aent. But where do I find the module properties folder?

In your I/O tree, double click on the AENT module...The chassis size is the last tab on the right

hi guys could use your help again, had to replace my 1734-aent due to a unrecoverable fault.
now that I installed the new 1734-aent I am getting an error on the point bus status blinking red-recoverable fault. when I look in the BootP software I can only see the 1734 when the thumbwheels are set to 999 as soonas I set them to 002 the BootP software cant read the 1734-aent. any ideas? thanks again

When you set them to 002 is goes to 192.168.1.002, therefore it won't show in BootP. 888 and a power cycle resets a static IP (set via BootP) and then 999 will enable bootP to set an address in a range other than 192.168.1.xxx.

You had the same problem, five years later ? Interesting.

The 1734-AENT installation instructions explain how the three-digit switch works, which is consistent with what you are describing.

888 = Factory Default Reset on power cycle

999 = The module uses the IP address in NVRAM and DHCP if it's enabled (by default it is enabled).

1-254 = The module uses a static IP address of 192.168.1.x, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and no Default Gateway.

If you intend to use the 1734-AENT with IP address 192.168.1.2, then set the switches to "002" and you don't have to do anything else.

need help

[/ATTACH]

when I open the module overview I get message about downloading java how is this done?

I'm not sure what your setup is there but I have found that the easiest way to configure the AENT is through RSLinx. If you right-click on the module you will see "Module Configuration" as the last item in the list. Using this, you can set both the Port Configuration as well as set the Chassis Size.

Trying to use the webpage for the module is not straightforward. It requires a very old version of JAVA to be used so you would have to get that installed on your computer.